These Healthy Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls are a delicious protein-packed family dinner everyone loves! (Don’t miss all our favorite toppings to try below!)
For The Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (or chicken thighs)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Optional. Omit to make this more mild)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Burrito Bowl Fillings & Toppings:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Pinto Beans or Black Beans
- Shredded Lettuce
- Fajita veggies
- Pico de Gallo or Salsa
- Corn Salsa
- Sour Cream or Cilantro Lime Ranch
Dice The Chicken. If you haven’t already, use a sharp knife to cut the chicken into small bite-sized cubes (1-inch or smaller). Place chicken cubes in a bowl or dish.
Coat Chicken With Spices. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat well. You can cook the chicken right away at this point, or refrigerate it up to 1 day to allow the flavor to develop.
Cook The Chicken. When you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat 1 Tablepsoon olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add half of the chicken and cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until it’s cooked through and 165 degrees F. inside. (I try not to disturb the chicken as it cooks so it can develop more of a browned/charred appearance). For best results, don’t crowd the pan, so there’s plenty of room for the air to circulate. This will give your chicken a crispier texture on the outside. Repeat this process, adding more oil to the skillet as needed with the second half of the chicken.
Add Lime Juice. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the cooked chicken for a little brightness.
Build Burrito Bowls. For Chipotle-stye burrito bowls, layer rice, beans, and chicken in a bowl. Top with lettuce, salsa, guacamole, cheese, or other toppings, as desired.
Prefer To Grill The Chicken?
- If you plan to grill the chicken instead, keep the chicken breast or thighs whole. Rub with olive oil and seasonings and make sure they’re well coated. Grill 6-8 minutes or until the interior reaches 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest 3-5 minutes, then dice into cubes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: chicken burrito bowls, healthy chicken burrito bowls, chipotle chicken burrito bowls