These Healthy Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls are a delicious protein-packed family dinner everyone loves! (Don’t miss all our favorite toppings to try below!)
We’re headed into warmer weather and with it comes my biological desired to…not cook as much. For the next few months, we’ll be rotating through all kinds of Low-Cook & No-Cook Recipes on repeat, but we won’t be sacrificing on flavor!
Build-your-own dinners like these Healthy Burrito Bowls are one of our go-to options. Everyone can build their plate just the way they like it (less complaining!) and there’s plenty of protein, flavor, and freshness built-in to make it a satisfying as possible.
COUNT ME ALL THE WAY IN!
Today, I’ll walk you through our go-to seasoned chicken for burrito bowls, plus break down some of our favorite bases, mix-ins, and toppings to set out for the ultimate build-your-own burrito bowl bonanza. YUM!
Here’s what you need to make our Chipotle-style chicken burrito bowls…
Here’s What You need To Make This Yummy Seasoned Chicken:
- Chicken Breast Or Chicken Thighs. I use boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs for burrito bowls. It’s a great source of lean protein, and the perfect canvas for all those yummy seasonings!
- Olive Oil. You’ll just need a bit to help the spices stick to the chicken and to keep the chicken from sticking to the pan.
- Pantry Seasonings. We’re making a quick homemade taco seasoning from staples like Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano, Paprika, Salt, and Pepper. If you’d rather use a taco seasoning packet, feel free!
- Lime Juice. A little fresh lime juice adds brightness and keeps the chicken feeling light!
How To Make Chicken For Burrito Bowls, Step By Step:
- Dice The Chicken. If you haven’t already, use a sharp knife to cut the chicken into small bite-sized cubes (1-inch or smaller). Place chicken cubes in a bowl or dish.
- Coat Chicken With Spices. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat well. You can cook the chicken right away at this point, or refrigerate it up to 1 day to allow the flavor to develop.
- Cook The Chicken. When you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat 1 Tablepsoon olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add half of the chicken and cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until it’s cooked through and 165 degrees F. inside. (I try not to disturb the chicken as it cooks so it can develop more of a browned/charred appearance). For best results, don’t crowd the pan, so there’s plenty of room for the air to circulate. This will give your chicken a crispier texture on the outside. Repeat this process, adding more oil to the skillet as needed with the second half of the chicken.
- Add Lime Juice. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the cooked chicken for a little brightness.
- Build Burrito Bowls. For Chipotle-stye burrito bowls, layer rice, beans, and chicken in a bowl. Top with lettuce, salsa, guacamole, cheese, or other toppings, as desired.
Prefer To Grill Your Chicken? No Problem!
If you plan to grill the chicken instead, keep the chicken breast or thighs whole. Rub with olive oil and seasonings and make sure they’re well coated. Grill 6-8 minutes or until the interior reaches 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest 3-5 minutes, then dice into cubes.
Build Your Burrito bowl!
Now that you’ve got delicious seasoned chicken, you’re ready to build your bowl! I serve meals like this family-style and let everyone build their own just the way they like it. Some of my favorites toppings for a Chiptole-style burrito bowl are:
- Cilantro Lime Rice. A classic for a Chipotle Burrito Bowl! This Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is perfect every time and adds a gorgeous layer of flavor.
- Mexican Restaurant-Style Rice. If you prefer red rice or restaurant-style rice, this one is sure to please.
- Charro Beans. My all-time favorite way to make beans. YUM! These seasoned pinto beans are PACKED with flavor, freeze well, and make amazing burrito bowls.
- Seasoned Black Beans. Or, use these yummy black beans–we’ve got lots of seasoning ideas in the post!
- Shredded Lettuce. Keep it simple with some crispy shredded lettuce. Romaine and green leafe are my go-to’s!
- Cilantro Lime Slaw. Or, pack even more flavor and nutrients by using our Cilantro-Lime Slaw. It’s fresh, light, and gorgeous with the other flavors in this Chicken Burrito Bowl.
- Pico De Gallo Or Salsa. A must for me! Choose chunky Pico De Gallo, Restaurant Style Chipotle Salsa, or Homemade Salsa Verde for a yummy twist!
- Guacamole. I love a scoop (or three!) of homemade guacamole. Our classic recipe is easy and always delicious.
- Corn Salsa. Especially in the summer, I love making a batch of Fresh Corn Salsa to add to these bowls! (Frozen corn works when corn isn’t in season!)
- Fajita Veggies. Chipotle offers fajita veggies (charred peppers and onions) as one of their add-ons, and I love it! You can use the veggies from our veggie fajitas or use some grilled, charred or sauteed peppers and onions.
- Cheese. Feel free to add some cotjia cheese, crumbled queso fresco, or a little shredded Monterrey Jack or cheddar cheese!
- Tomatillo Ranch Or Cilantro Lime Ranch. Or, you can add a little drizzle of tomatillo ranch or our cilantro lime ranch dressing.
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Chicken Burrito Bowls:
Our Favorite Place To Stock Up On Quality Chicken. When you’re shopping for quality chicken (free-range, organic, pasture-raised, etc.), it can definitely get expensive. One way I save money is shopping sales or buying in bulk from places like Thrive Market (or Costco). I usually place a big order every 1-2 months from Thrive Market and then I’ve got a freezer full of high-quality options when it’s time to meal plan. Get $40 off your first order with my link!
Feel Free To Use Ground Chicken Instead. If you prefer your meat to have a finer texture, feel free to use ground chicken breast or ground chicken here instead. We’ve done it plenty of times with great results!
How Long Does This Chicken Last? For best results, you’ll want to use this chicken within 3-4 days after cooking. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and feel free to reheat leftovers for taco salads, burritos, nachos, tostadas, or more burrito bowls! Feel free to double the batch so you can use leftovers for healthy lunches the next day or two!
Something Fresh To Wash It Down With! I love to pair something spicy, smoky or savory with something cool and refreshing. This Watermelon Agua Fresca can be a yummy option! Or a batch of Watermelon Berry Fruit Salad. Yum!
More Tex-Mex Recipes To Try:
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print