Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup – This healthy black bean soup is so simple to make! You’ll love the colors and flavor. (Gluten free & vegan)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more or less, to taste)*
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 (14 oz.) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1/2–1 lime (about 1–2 Tbsp.)
- 1/4–1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion and cook 5-7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, and salt, and cook 1 minute more, until fragrant.
- Add salsa verde, tomatoes, and black beans. Stir to combine, then add the broth. Stir to incorporate the broth, then cover the soup.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Remove 1-2 cups of soup and puree in a blender (let the soup cool first to avoid scorching), or use an immersion blender to pulse 5-8 times quickly to pulse some of the soup. Puree more soup as desired, until you reach your desired texture.
- (If the soup is thicker than you like, you can thin it with more broth. If it’s too thin, or you pureed the soup more than you meant to, you can stir in another can of beans)
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired.
Since I’m using pantry ingredients like canned beans and broth, I try to use low-sodium or no-salt added beans and broth to keep this from being too salty. Then I can control the salt on my own. If you use salted broth/beans, you likely won’t need any additional salt.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: black bean soup, vegan black bean soup, vegetarian black bean soup, healthy black bean soup