Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup – This healthy black bean soup is so simple to make! You’ll love the colors and flavor. (Gluten free & vegan)
Living in the desert, it seems like I’m always much more excited about soup season than the weather is. Ha!
But as we’re turning the corner into October, the weather’s finally starting to think about it! Perfect timing, too, because we’re serving up a cozy pot of Black Bean Soup today!
This healthy black bean soup is naturally gluten-free, vegan, and full of flavor. It’s got a thick, hearty texture thanks to a pureeing trick, and has plenty of gorgeous color and flavor. It’s sort of like the sweet spot between soup and chili!
Best of all perhaps is the simple ingredient list. We’re relying mostly on pantry staples, with a few fresh ingredients tossed in for good measure.
Here’s all you need to make this Vegan Black Bean Soup…
Here’s What Goes Into Our Vegan Black Bean Soup Recipe:
- Onion & Bell Pepper. A good savory base, this combination of peppers and onions adds lovely flavor to black bean soup!
- Garlic. A little goes a long way! I love what these aromatics do to the soup.
- A Smoky Blend of Spices. Since we’re not using bacon or ham hocks to add smokiness to our soup, we achieve a similar result with smoky spices, like chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and chipotle chili powder, with some salt tossed in to keep things balanced.
- Salsa Verde. I used to use canned green chilis or pickled jalapeños for some kick, but now I add take a leaf out of this shortcut Salsa Verde Chicken Chili and add some good salsa verde for the same effect. I love the tomatillo salsa from Sprouts–not too spicy, with great flavor!
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes. Another way to add a subtle smokiness, fire-roasted tomatoes add a rich depth to black bean soup.
- Black Beans. Of course, it wouldn’t be black bean soup without black beans! I’m using canned black beans for ease, but you can absolutely cook dry black beans yourself, if you prefer.
- A Good Veggie Broth (Or Water). I’m a big fan of Imagine Organic’s vegetable broth. It’s got great rich flavor without any weird bitterness, acidity, or aftertaste.
- Fresh Lime Juice & Cilantro. To finish the dish, we lighten things up with some fresh lime juice for acidity & brightness, and fresh cilantro. I love the fresh flavor it adds to this hearty soup.
Our Favorite Toppings For Black Bean Soup:
Now that you have a cozy bowl of this healthy black bean soup, you’re ready to add some toppings! Here are some of our favorites:
- Avocado. I love the cool creaminess of some diced or sliced avocado.
- Cilantro. Bright, fresh, delicious. I always add more cilantro!
- A Lime Wedge or Lime Juice. Add some more brightness and tang to your black bean soup with a bit of fresh lime juice. Serve little wedges on the side so everyone can dress their own!
- Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt. The bright creamy tang of some sour cream or plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy, based on your dietary needs) can be lovely next to the hearty savory soup.
- Cheese or Dairy-Free Cheese. If you include dairy or dairy-free cheese in your diet, a little melted on top can sure feel cozy!
- Sliced Jalapeños. For some kick, you can add sliced jalapeños. Remove the seeds and ribs first to take out some of the heat!
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Black Bean Soup:
Blend part of the soup. You don’t *have* to do this, but I really love that it makes the soup a bit thicker. If you find your soup has gotten too thick, you can always add more broth. If it’s too thin, you can always add another can of beans or puree more of the soup. It’s all up to you!
I love using my immersion blender for jobs like these. I scoop out a portion of the soup, puree it, and then return it to the soup. If you want an absolutely smooth puree, you can use a traditional or high-speed blender instead.
Can You Freeze Black Bean Soup? You bet! Add cooled soup to freezer safe bags, then lay flat to freeze. Once they’re solid, they’re easy to store and will thaw faster. Thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
Side Dishes To Serve With Black Bean Soup. Tortilla chips for crunch or some savory Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins are always a big hit for us, but a light side salad and some fresh fruit can turn this Vegan Black Bean Soup into one delicious dinner!