This easy glute-free taco seasoning recipe makes the equivalent of 1 packet of store-bought taco seasoning. Feel free to swap it into your favorite recipes! (It’s naturally paleo, grain-free, and vegan!)
For The Seasoning Mix:
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit for more mild heat)
Optional, to thicken:
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder (use arrowroot for paleo)
- In a small bowl or jar, combine all seasonings, and optional cornstarch or arrowroot, if using.
- Stir or shake until the seasonings are well blended.
- Store taco seasoning in an airtight container up to 1 year. (I recommend using within 6 months for best results)
- 1 batch of taco seasoning is the perfect amount for 1 pound of meat (up to 1 1/2 pounds)
*Make it Thicker
- If you’ve used store-bought taco seasoning before, you’ll know that you often add a little water with the mix. This is because most store-bought mixes come with some kind of thickener–cornstarch, arrowroot, and brown rice starch are common ones! If you want to mimic that same thickening effect at home, you can add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch or arrowroot (paleo) to your spice blend. Then add 1/2 cup of water along with the spice mix and stir till it’s thickened.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Seasoning
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: gluten-free taco seasoning, homemade gluten free taco seasoning, paleo taco seasoning, vegan taco seasoning