Our Easy Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Recipe Is Made From Pantry-Staple Spices & Seasonings You Already Have On Hand!
Back today with a new flavor booster to try!
Whether you’re hoping to ditch store-bought taco seasoning for a homemade version without preservatives or extras, or you simply don’t have a packet on hand and need a quick substitute, our easy gluten-free taco seasoning is here to pack in BIG flavor without any fuss.
Our simple blend of spices and seasonings is made from pantry staples we always have on hand, and it tastes delicious!
Here’s what you need to make our homemade gluten-free taco seasoning mix…
Our Easy Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Recipe, At A Glance:
Here’s What You need To Make Our Healthy Homemade Taco Seasoning:
The best part: It’s just a mix of pantry staple spices! Here’s what you need for our usual blend:
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes – Skip these to make a more mild taco seasoning!
Optional: A Little Something To Make It Thicker…
If you’ve used store-bought taco seasoning before, you’ll know that you often add a little water with the mix. This is because most store-bought mixes come with some kind of thickener–cornstarch, arrowroot, and brown rice starch are common ones! If you want to mimic that same thickening effect at home, you can add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch or arrowroot (paleo) to your spice blend. Then add 1/2 cup of water along with the spice mix and stir till it’s thickened.
Yummy WAys To Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
Our gluten-free taco seasoning recipe makes the equivalent of 1 packet of taco seasoning. (1 packet of taco seasoning is about 2 1/2 Tablespoons). That means it’s perfectly portioned for swapping into your favorite recipes! Here are some of our favorite ways to use it this yummy blend:
- Chicken Burrito Bowls – We use this exact blend for Chipotle-style burrito bowls!
- Tacos – Pack in big flavor on taco night by adding this taco seasoning to ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey taco fillings!
- Grilled Chicken – Rub a little onto your chicken before grilling for a super flavorful rub! Enjoy it as-is, or dice it up for taco salad, burrito bowls, a yummy wrap, and more!
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – I love adding smoky, spicy flavors to sweet potatoes!
- Seasoning Fajitas – Use this to season fajita meat and veggies!
- Making 7-Layer Dip – Instead of mixing a packet of taco seasoning into the sour cream, you can use this homemade blend instead!
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning:
Taco Seasoning Variations To Try.
- Make it Spicier! For more kick, you can increase the amount of red pepper flakes, add a pinch of cayenne, or add a dash of chipotle chili powder for some extra heat.
- Make it More Mild. The easiest way to reduce the heat is to simply use a little less seasoning in your recipe. But if you want to make the taco seasoning itself less spicy, you can omit the red pepper flakes and slightly reduce the cumin and chili powder.
- Add Some Smokiness. My favorite variation on this taco seasoning recipe is to omit the red pepper flakes and add 1/8 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder. It adds a smoky warmth that’s lovely!
What Are The Best Store-Bought Brands Of Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning?
If you don’t have the time (or the spices on hand) to make homemade taco seasoning, you can absolutely find gluten-free brands in the store. Not all brands of taco seasoning are gluten-free, so keep an eye out for those labeled gluten-free or a “certified gluten-free” designation on the label! Some of our favorites are:
- Siete Taco Seasoning – They sell mild (our fave) and spicy taco seasoning! This mix is Whole30 approved & paleo.
- McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix – ONLY the packets market gluten-free!
- Primal Palate – I order through Thrive Market. (Get $40 off your first order from Thrive Market with my link!)
- Thrive Market – Theirs is also organic!
How Long Does Homemade Taco Seasoning Last?
Assuming you’re using new or new-ish bottles of dried spices and seasonings, your taco seasoning will keep in an airtight container up to 1 year. If your seasonings are older, it may get stale sooner. Also note that because homemade taco seasoning doesn’t have stabilizers or anti-caking agents, it may clump over time. This is normal!
How Much TACO Seasoning Is In A Packet?
Most taco seasoning packets hold about 2 1/2 Tablespoons of taco seasoning. That means this recipe is the perfect swap! One batch of our homemade taco seasoning = 1 packet store-bought taco seasoning. (Feel free to double or triple this recipe, then use 2 1/2 Tablespoons when you need a packet-worth)
⭐ Don’t forget to leave a star review and comment below when you make our Homemade Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning recipe. I can’t wait to hear how it goes!Print