For the ice cream:
- zest of 3 lemons
- 3/4c sugar
- 1 1/2c whole milk
- 2 1/2c heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt (trust me)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the berry swirl:
- 1c raspberries (frozen is fine)
- 1c blueberries (ditto)
- 1c strawberries (ditto again)
- 1/4c sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- In a large saucepan, combine lemon zest and sugar until very fragrant. This allows the lemon oils from the zest to get friendly with the sugar. Pour in milk, cream, and salt and stir over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate until completely chilled, 1-2 hours or overnight.
- To make the berry swirl, add berries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch to a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat, crushing berries with a spatula or potato masher. Heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. As soon as the sauce begins to boil, remove it from the heat. If you want a smooth sauce (as pictured), strain through a seive and discard seeds/pulp. Refrigerate strained sauce until chilled.
- Pour lemon/cream mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. (For my cuisinart, this means about 30 minutes). Pour ice cream into a container for freezing and pour berry sauce on top. Swirl with a knife to incorporate. Cover and freeze 2-3 hours before serving.
- Freeze 2-3 hours or until ready to serve.