This easy mediterranean-inspired cauliflower rice recipe tastes amazing and works for any meal of the day. (Gluten free, vegan, paleo & Whole30)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 heaping cup (about 4oz) sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10-12oz) bag cauliflower rice (see notes to make your own or if using frozen)
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2–3 Roma or small tomatoes, diced
- 1/3–1/2 cup vegetable broth (can sub whatever broth you like)
- 2 heaping cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 3–4 Tbsp minced sun dried tomatoes (I like the olive oil packed ones)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium or large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sliced mushrooms. Sauce about 5-6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and mushrooms are starting to brown. (Most of the liquid should be evaporated).
- Add garlic and cook 1 minutes more.
- Add cauliflower rice, zucchini, and diced tomato. Add 1/3 cup broth.
- Cook over medium heat to evaporate the broth and cook the veggies. This should take about 5-6 minutes. If needed, add a little more broth to the pan to keep cooking. (You should only have about 1-2 Tbsp liquid in the bottom of the pan at this point).
- Add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and cook about 3-4 minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm with your favorite proteins or healthy fats!
Make your own cauliflower rice: If you can’t find it pre-ground, or prefer to save a few cents by making it yourself, it’s easy! You’ll simply wash it, cut it into some large florets, then pulse it in a food processor or grate it on a grater (this style is my favorite) until you have small rice-sized pieces.
If you’re using frozen cauliflower rice… Try to thaw it first if you have time. This will help you get rid of excess liquid. ONLY add the rice (not any of the thawed liquid) to the pan. If you don’t have time to thaw it beforehand, only add 1-2 Tbsp of broth to the pan at first, to allow the excess liquid from the cauliflower rice to take its place.
Watch the liquid. The big trick here is that the liquid will help cook the veggies, but you don’t want a bunch of extra liquid at the bottom. Start with less than you think you’ll need, and you can always add more if your cauliflower rice needs more time to cook.
- Category: side dish, vegetables, breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cauliflower rice, mediterranean cauliflower rice, veggie cauliflower rice, cauliflower rice skillet