Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Skillet – This easy cauliflower rice recipe tastes amazing and works for any meal of the day. Don’t miss my meal prep tips + serving ideas! (Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole30 + Vegetarian)
Last year one of my unofficial resolutions was to eat more veggies for breakfast. I cycle through what sounds good for breakfast (often eating the same 1-2 things for a few weeks at a time), but I’ve found when veggies are part of my breakfast, I tend to feel better. Usually, it’s because I’m pairing those veggies with some kind of protein and/or healthy fat. (Think: smoothies with greens + chia seeds or collagen, roasted breakfast potatoes and veggies with sausage or eggs, roasted veggies with avocado, etc.)
The mix of protein/fat + veggies keeps me full, doesn’t give me big blood sugar swings, and sets me up for a delicious, satisfying meal. I love it! When I’m in between breakfast potatoes + roasted veggie pans, I’ve been turning to this Mediterranean cauliflower rice skillet. I love the mix of Mediterranean inspired flavors, and bright colors. Here’s why it’s been so great lately…
Why This Cauliflower Rice Skillet is so Awesome:
Cauliflower rice is great for ANY meal of the day. I most often eat this for breakfast paired with a poached egg, some chicken sausage, or sliced avocado. It tastes wonderful every single way.
You can serve it as a main dish or side dish – Seriously, the options are endless. This cauliflower rice skillet can easily be a side dish to all sorts of main dishes (fish, chicken, sausage, etc.), or you can add some protein and call it your main dish.
It works for nearly any diet – The cauliflower rice skillet itself is allergy friendly (it doesn’t include any of the top 8 allergens). Plus it’s gluten free + paleo + vegan + Whole30 approved, so it’s a perfect blank canvas for whatever you want to pair it with. Serve it with chicken, sausages, or poached eggs. Or, keep things veggie and add some sliced avocado. It’s all REALLY good.
This recipe is awesome for meal prep. Cauliflower rice is awesome day one, but it reheats well, too, making it perfect for meal prep. I love packing it in meal prep containers with whatever proteins/fats sound good that week.
Tips + Tricks for Perfect Cauliflower Rice:
Where to find it in the store: I can find fresh cauliflower rice (sometimes packaged as “riced cauliflower”) almost anywhere–from Target or Walmart to Safeway to Sprouts to Kroger to Trader Joe’s and more. It’s usually near other refrigerated pre-cut veggies in the produce department. You can also find it frozen, but I prefer fresh if you can find it. (See my notes in the recipe card for adjustments if you’re using frozen cauliflower rice)
Make your own cauliflower rice: If you can’t find it pre-ground, or prefer to save a few cents by making it yourself, it’s easy! You’ll simply wash it, cut it into florets, then grate or pulse it in a food processor or grate it on a grater (this style is my favorite) until you have small rice-sized pieces.
Watch the liquid. The big trick with cauliflower rice is that the liquid will help cook the veggies, but you don’t want a bunch of extra liquid at the bottom. Start with less than you think you’ll need, and you can always add more if your cauliflower rice needs more time to cook.
Love this recipe? You might also love these meal prep faves:
- Crispy Roasted Breakfast Potatoes & Veggies
- Fruit on the Bottom Chia Pudding
- How I Meal Prep in Minutes
- Meal Prep Pico de Gallo Quinoa
This easy mediterranean-inspired cauliflower rice recipe tastes amazing and works for any meal of the day. (Gluten free, vegan, paleo & Whole30)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 heaping cup (about 4oz) sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10-12oz) bag cauliflower rice (see notes to make your own or if using frozen)
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2-3 Roma or small tomatoes, diced
- 1/3-1/2 cup vegetable broth (can sub whatever broth you like)
- 2 heaping cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp minced sun dried tomatoes (I like the olive oil packed ones)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium or large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sliced mushrooms. Sauce about 5-6 minutes, or until onion is translucent and mushrooms are starting to brown. (Most of the liquid should be evaporated).
- Add garlic and cook 1 minutes more.
- Add cauliflower rice, zucchini, and diced tomato. Add 1/3 cup broth.
- Cook over medium heat to evaporate the broth and cook the veggies. This should take about 5-6 minutes. If needed, add a little more broth to the pan to keep cooking. (You should only have about 1-2 Tbsp liquid in the bottom of the pan at this point).
- Add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and cook about 3-4 minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm with your favorite proteins or healthy fats!
Make your own cauliflower rice: If you can’t find it pre-ground, or prefer to save a few cents by making it yourself, it’s easy! You’ll simply wash it, cut it into some large florets, then pulse it in a food processor or grate it on a grater (this style is my favorite) until you have small rice-sized pieces.
If you’re using frozen cauliflower rice… Try to thaw it first if you have time. This will help you get rid of excess liquid. ONLY add the rice (not any of the thawed liquid) to the pan. If you don’t have time to thaw it beforehand, only add 1-2 Tbsp of broth to the pan at first, to allow the excess liquid from the cauliflower rice to take its place.
Watch the liquid. The big trick here is that the liquid will help cook the veggies, but you don’t want a bunch of extra liquid at the bottom. Start with less than you think you’ll need, and you can always add more if your cauliflower rice needs more time to cook.
Keywords: cauliflower rice, mediterranean cauliflower rice, veggie cauliflower rice, cauliflower rice skillet