- 4lbs beef roast (I usually use chuck), sliced into 4-5 pieces
- 2–4 Tbsp canola oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1/3c cider vinegar
- 2 chipotle chiles, adobo sauce rinsed off
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 3/4c beef or chicken broth
- To serve: lettuce, cheese, tomato, corn tortillas, etc.*
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef on all sides (do it in batches if necessary–don’t crowd the pot). In a blender or food processor, puree vinegar, chiles, garlic, lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano, and cloves.
- Pour spice mixture over beef and stir to coat. Pour broth over all. Bring to a simmer and cover with lid.
- Bake at 275 for 5-6 hours. If using a slow cooker, cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Shred beef. Skim fat off top of broth and drippings and discard. Pour remaining liquid over beef and toss to coat. Serve with corn tortillas, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes.
*For gluten free version: be sure your corn tortillas are gluten free. For dairy free, skip the cheese.