Feel free to assemble this the night before and refrigerate the crock. You can then just pop the crock into the slow cooker and set it to cook. Also, you can make this skipping the browning step. I just love the flavor it imparts.
- 2–3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 6–8 large pieces
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 1” pieces
- 8–10oz button mushrooms, halved
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (or 1 lb. pearl onions, peeled)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups beef broth (I prefer bone broth, or you can use water + 4–6 tsp Beef Base)
- 2–3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive or avocado oil
- To thicken: 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
To Make This Stew In A Slow Cooker:
- Brown The Beef by heating a drizzle of oil in a large sauté pan. Working in batches, add a few pieces of beef to the pan and brown on all sides. When browned, transfer to the crock of a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Add Carrots & Mushrooms. Place carrots and mushrooms in with the beef (I just put them right on top of the browned beef).
- Mix Up Your Secret Sauce. Add onion to the pan you browned the beef in. Stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add balsamic, Dijon, and broth to the pan and stir until well combined.
- Pour The Sauce Over Everything. Then, pour the whole mixture into the slow cooker over the beef, carrots, and mushrooms. Place rosemary on top.
- Cook The Paleo Beef Stew in slow cooker on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or LOW on 7-8 hours.
- Shred beef into the broth mixture after cooking. Use two forks to pull the beef apart. It should be tender enough to come apart easily. If you prefer, you can remove the beef to a plate or cutting board to shred it if that makes it easier for you.
- Whisk Up The Arrowroot. In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot and 2 Tbsp water. Pour into the slow cooker and stir to combine. It should almost immediately thicken. Serve when you’re ready!
- Garnish & Serve! Once the stew is thick and delicious, you can serve it in bowls, or spoon over mashed potatoes (we love these Instant Pot Whole30 Mashed Potatoes!) or mashed cauliflower.
If you prefer not to make this in a slow cooker:
- You can make it in a Dutch oven using the same method–cook everything in the Dutch oven, not a sauté pan. Bake it at 300 degrees for about 3 hours, or simmer it on the stove top for 2-3 hours.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Main Dish, Soup, Stew
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American, Homestyle
Keywords: beef stew, paleo, slow cooker beef stew, gluten free