Slow Cooker Beef Stew – This paleo beef stew couldn’t be easier! Let the slow cooker do the work and enjoy a cozy Whole30 dinner. (Paleo & Whole30 Friendly)
I’m on a cold-weather mission to enjoy All The Cozy Things. I want to sip hot cocoa, lose myself in novels and movies, light candles in the evenings, and maybe stay in my comfies on the weekend. And, when I can’t (because life, yo!), I can fill my house with the comfort of stew.
This is the BEST beef stew. It’s savory, hearty, filling, rich-but-not-too-heavy, and the flavor has that little subtle something that makes you say “yum! What’s IN this!?”
Oh, and did I mention that it’s paleo + Whole30? Because it is! And it’s about to be your new cold weather best friend. Here’s what I put in it…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY SLOW COOKER PALEO BEEF STEW
BEEF ROAST. You can use whatever beef roast is your favorite. I like use Chuck roast because it makes such super tender beef stew!
ONIONS + CARROTS + MUSHROOMS. I love this veggie trifecta here in this slow cooker beef stew. It’s flavorful and hearty. SO GOOD!
MY SECRET “SAUCE.” The magic here is the combination of broth, balsamic vinegar and a hint of dijon mustard. That mixture, paired with the classic flavors of beef, carrots, onions, and rosemary makes this sauce just incredible.
ROSEMARY. Lastly, we round things out with a bit of fresh rosemary. I LOVE how it plays up the flavors in the mushrooms and beef without overwhelming the dish. It’s *just* enough!
A LITTLE THICKENER (if you want!). Lastly, if you like a thicker beef stew (I do!), you can thicken it up with a little arrowroot + water slurry. It only takes a few minutes, but gives this slow cooker beef stew an amazing texture.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW:
USE A GOOD SLOW COOKER! We like this one. It’s less expensive than many, but gets the job done while looking super cute!
CAN I ADD MORE VEGGIES? Yes! The only real limit is the size of your slow cooker. As long as you don’t fill it more than 3/4 full, you can add whatever veggies you like. Over the year, people have added celery, diced potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and more!
CAN I MAKE THIS IN AN INSTANT POT? Yes! You can totally make this as Instant Pot Beef Stew. Use the SAUTE function to brown the beef, then remove to a plate, while you add the onion and use a spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Press CANCEL, then add the carrots and mushrooms. Return the browned beef to the Instant Pot and arrange on top of the veggies. Stir together the broth, dijon, balsamic, salt, and pepper, then pour over the whole mixture. Add rosemary and select PRESSURE COOK (manual) for 40 minutes. Slow release or quick release the steam, and shred the beef. Mix up the arrowroot + water slurry and pour into the stew. Stir and let thicken a few minutes, then serve!
LOVE THIS PALEO SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
- Slow Cooker Paleo Butter Chicken (Paleo + Whole30)
- Slow Cooker Paleo Pumpkin Taco Soup (Paleo + Whole30)
- Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas (Paleo + Whole30)
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili (Paleo + Whole30)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry (Paleo + Whole30)
Feel free to assemble this the night before and refrigerate the crock. You can then just pop the crock into the slow cooker and set it to cook. Also, you can make this skipping the browning step. I just love the flavor it imparts.
- 2–3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 6–8 large pieces
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 1” pieces
- 8–10oz button mushrooms, halved
- 1 large sweet onion, diced (or 1 lb. pearl onions, peeled)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups beef broth (I prefer bone broth, or you can use water + 4–6 tsp Beef Base)
- 2–3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive or avocado oil
- To thicken: 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- Brown the beef by heating a drizzle of oil in a large sauté pan. Working in batches, add a few pieces of beef to the pan and brown on all sides. When browned, transfer to the crock of a slow cooker. Repeat with remaining beef. Place carrots and mushrooms in with the beef.
- Add onion to the pan you browned the beef in. Stir to scrape up any browned bits. Add balsamic, Dijon, and broth to the pan and stir until well combined. Pour the whole mixture into the slow cooker over the beef, carrots, and mushrooms. Place rosemary on top.
- Cook stew in slow cooker on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or LOW on 7-8 hours. Shred beef into the broth mixture after cooking. In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot and 2 Tbsp water. Pour into the slow cooker and stir to combine. It should almost immediately thicken. Serve when you’re ready!
If you prefer not to make this in a slow cooker:
- You can make it in a Dutch oven using the same method–cook everything in the Dutch oven, not a sauté pan. Bake it at 300 degrees for about 3 hours, or simmer it on the stove top for 2-3 hours.
- Serve stew.
- Category: Main Dish, Soup, Stew
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American, Homestyle
Keywords: beef stew, paleo, slow cooker beef stew, gluten free