You do not have to do the sautéing steps as outlined. I prefer this for a softer texture on the onions, but you can absolutely put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, give it a good stir and set it to cook–your choice!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast or thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric (or about 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cloves
- 2–3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk (I prefer full-fat)
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1/4–1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Optional: if you like a thicker sauce:
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder or 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Place the chicken in the crock of your slow cooker.
- To make the sauce, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5-7 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, chili powder, chili flakes, cloves and salt. Cook 1-2 minutes more, or until very fragrant.
- Stir in tomato paste, coconut milk, and broth (or water) and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over the chicken.
- Cook on HIGH about 3 hours or on low 5-6 hours.
- (If you like a thicker sauce, mix arrowroot OR cornstarch with about 1 Tbsp water. Add to slow cooker in the last 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Stir in cilantro right before serving.
- Category: Main Dish, Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: tikka masala, chicken, paleo, paleo chicken, paleo chicken masala, slow cooker tikka masala, crock pot tikka masala