Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala – This pseudo-Indian classic gets a slow cooker makeover. Let the slow cooker do the work for you!
(Plus, it’s gluten free, dairy free, Paleo, and Whole30 approved!)
I’d originally planned to make this Chicken Tikka Masala on the stovetop, but with several appointments in a day and errands to run, I ended up making it for the slow cooker. I’m SO GLAD I did! Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is a revelation!
The spice list might look a little intense, but the combination of warm spices is mouthwatering. Savory, complex, and layered, this sauce was absolutely my favorite part.
Notes on the recipe
My favorite slow cooker. If you’re looking for a slow cooker, I can’t recommend mine highly enough. It’s programmable, which is great for a recipe like this. You can set it on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours, and it will automatically switch to the WARM function, so you’ll never burn or overcook your dinner! (I’ve found the best prices are at Amazon or Target and you get free shipping at both!)
Serve it with…This Tikka Masala recipe is paleo friendly, which means it’s gluten, dairy, and grain free. If you’re eating paleo, you can serve it with cauliflower rice, or over steamed veggies. Otherwise, I love a little coconut rice with mine. #teamwhiterice
Like this recipe? You might also like…
- Slow Cooker Paleo Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Paleo Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- Coconut Rice
You do not have to do the sautéing steps as outlined. I prefer this for a softer texture on the onions, but you can absolutely put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, give it a good stir and set it to cook–your choice!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast or thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric (or about 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cloves
- 2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk (I prefer full-fat)
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Optional: if you like a thicker sauce:
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder or 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Place the chicken in the crock of your slow cooker.
- To make the sauce, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5-7 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, chili powder, chili flakes, cloves and salt. Cook 1-2 minutes more, or until very fragrant.
- Stir in tomato paste, coconut milk, and broth (or water) and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over the chicken.
- Cook on HIGH about 3 hours or on low 5-6 hours.
- (If you like a thicker sauce, mix arrowroot OR cornstarch with about 1 Tbsp water. Add to slow cooker in the last 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Stir in cilantro right before serving.
Keywords: tikka masala, chicken, paleo, paleo chicken, paleo chicken masala, slow cooker tikka masala, crock pot tikka masala