Split Pea Soup – This savory ham and split pea soup is the perfect comfort food! Plus, it’s easy to make on the stove, in the slow cooker, or Instant Pot! (Gluten Free + Dairy Free)
- 1 lb. smoked ham on the bone (if you can’t get a bone, just use 8 oz of ham or 8oz ham + 1 ham hock)
- 1 lb. dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
- 6–8 cups water or broth
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2–3 carrots, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In your largest pot, saute the celery and onion in olive oil till tender over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring mixture up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer at least 1 hour, or up to 2 hours (till the peas have completely softened and the soup is smooth).
- Before serving, remove ham hock/ham bone from soup. Remove ham from bone and dice. Return ham to soup and discard bone, etc.
HOW TO MAKE SPLIT PEA SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER: Instead of sautéing your ingredients, you’ll just “dump and go.” Place everything (you can skip the olive oil) in the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 7-8 hours.
HOW TO MAKE SPLIT PEA SOUP IN AN INSTANT POT: You make instant pot split pea soup by pressing SAUTÉ, then adding your olive oil, onions, celery, and carrots and cooking 5-10 minutes in the Instant Pot until tender. Add the garlic and cook 30-60 seconds more, just until fragrant. Press CANCEL, and add your ham, split peas, and broth or water. Set the steam vent to SEALING, then press PRESSURE COOK (manual) and cook for 15 minutes. Natural release the pressure about 10-15 minutes, then quick release the remaining steam. Stir and remove the ham bone (if using), shredding in any ham.
- Category: Soup, Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop, Instant Pot, Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: split pea soup, ham split pea soup, slow cooker split pea soup, instant pot split pea soup,