- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar (omit if making savory dish)
For the slurry:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large bowl, cut shortening into flour, sugar (if using) and salt with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine the 1/3c flour and 1/2c water to make a slurry. Pour over cumbled shortening mixture and mix till just combined.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and form into a round.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and flatten into a small disc.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to set. (This will make rolling it out much easier. If you don’t need a double crust, you can freeze one half of the dough and use it later.)
- When ready to use the crust, roll out each half on a heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin. If it doesn’t go well the first time, it’s okay. Just crumple it back into a ball and try again. It’s VERY forgiving.
- Makes 1 double crust
TO USE FOR A PIE – Follow the baking directions of your pie filling recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best pie crust recipe, pie crust recipe, shortening pie crust recipe