Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos – These healthy breakfast tacos are an easy breakfast or breakfast-for-dinner! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
For The Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos:
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 8 Eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tsp. Butter or olive oil for cooking the eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans (buy seasoned beans for more flavor!)
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1–2 avocados, sliced
Other optional toppings: cheese (cheddar, Pepper Jack, or Cotija), cilantro, sliced jalapeños, sautéed peppers and onions, etc.
Warm Your Tortillas:
- On the Stovetop. Place tortillas one at a time into a dry skillet over medium heat and cook about 20-30 seconds per side before wrapping them in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. If you have a gas burner, you can use metal tongs to quickly, lightly char your tortillas over the flame, then wrap them in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- In the Microwave. Alternatively, you can microwave corn tortillas in groups of 5 or so wrapped in damp paper towels for 30-second increments until the tortillas are warm and pliable.
- In the Oven. Wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and warm them in a 350 degrees oven for 15-20 minutes.
Scramble And Cook Your Eggs:
- Whisk the eggs and salt in a large bowl until very smooth and uniform. Heat 1 tsp. butter or olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the eggs and use a rubber spatula to stir the eggs constantly over low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs are *almost* set to your liking. Remove the skillet from the heat. (The pan will continue to cook the eggs for another minute or two, which is why you want to remove it from the heat a little *before* you reach your desired done-ness.)
Warm The Black Beans:
- Pour the beans into a microwave safe bowl or small saucepan on the stovetop and heat until the beans are warmed through (1-2 minutes in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so or 3-4 minutes on the stovetop on medium heat).
- If your beans didn’t come seasoned, you can add flavor by adding 1/4-1/2 tsp. chili powder or cumin to the beans. Similarly, if you bought unsalted beans, you may want to add a bit of salt.
Assemble Your Tacos:
- Let everyone build their tacos, layering scrambled eggs, black beans, pico de gallo, avocado, and any other desired toppings into their warmed tortillas.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: vegetarian breakfast tacos, healthy breakfast tacos, breakfast tacos