Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos – These healthy breakfast tacos are an easy breakfast or breakfast-for-dinner! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
Happy Monday! It finally feels like we’re starting to hit our stride with this new school year, as we adjust to our new schedule, and we’re back to fitting in things like homework and music practice after school. I’m still very much in an “I Will Take All Of The Easy Dinners” phase, and simple meals like these Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos are right in my sweet spot.
For one, they’re a build-your-own dinner, which always goes over better with my kids. For another, they’re made from simple, healthy ingredients, which means they’ll keep us full and fuel us up while they’re at it. Plus, these breakfast tacos also come together in less than 30 minutes, which makes them a GREAT option no matter how busy the night is.
To be honest, they’re not much of a meticulous recipe as they are a simple dinner idea. But I figured that we can’t be the only family who appreciates quick, easy dinners for busy nights, and vegetarian breakfast tacos are here to deliver.
Whether you make them for breakfast-for-dinner like we do or mix them up for a lazy weekend breakfast is up to you! Now, are you ready to make some healthy breakfast tacos? This is all you need to get started…
Here’s What You’ll Need To Make Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos:
- Corn Tortillas. I’m a big fan of corn tortillas for tacos. Don’t forget to warm them up first for the best flavor and texture (see the FAQ below for tips!)
- Black Beans. Black beans add a hearty texture and gorgeous Tex-Mex flavor without any meat, which make them a great addition to vegetarian breakfast tacos.
- Scrambled Eggs. Some yummy scrambled eggs also fill these vegetarian breakfast tacos out a bit. I love how the eggs pair with the Tex-Mex flavors–it’s like a taco version of my beloved Huevos Rancheros!
- Pico de Gallo or Salsa. Some fresh pico de gallo adds lots of color and bright fresh flavor to breakfast tacos. I like the more rustic texture of pico de gallo, but our Mexican Restaurant Copycat Salsa is another delicious choice. Or Salsa Verde! Basically? Don’t forget the salsa!
- Avocado. Creamy avocado is a gorgeous texture to add to the tacos and the cooling effect is excellent next to the black beans and the punchy salsa.
- Fresh Cilantro. For one last pop of color, I love adding a bit of fresh cilantro on top. Yum!
- Your Favorite Goodies. Of course, these are just some of the fillings you can use for our healthy vegetarian breakfast tacos. There are so many other yummy twists to try, like…
Try One Of These Variations On Our Vegetarian Breakfast Taco Recipe:
- Swap Your Salsa. Swap out my recommended Pico de Gallo for some Classic Salsa or Salsa Verde.
- Try Pinto Beans Instead! You can also swap out the black beans for seasoned pinto beans. This Instant Pot Pinto Beans recipe is my very favorite and can be adapted for vegetarian diets. (You can make and freeze batches ahead of time to make things quick and easy!)
- Add Some Veggies. If you want, you can use our Roasted Breakfast Potatoes and Veggies in these vegetarian breakfast tacos. The seasonings are delicious and work great with the other flavors! Or, sauté some bell peppers and onions, or add a bit of spinach for an extra dose of veggies. Always a great option when you’re making healthy breakfast tacos!
- Sprinkle On Some Cheese. If you tolerate/eat dairy, feel free to top your breakfast tacos with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar, spicy Pepper Jack, or salty Cotija cheese. Every single one of these is delicious! If you avoid dairy, feel free to use dairy-free cheese shreds like Daiya instead. (My daughter Sophie loves hers this way!)
Tips and Tricks For The Best Vegetarian Breakfast Tacos:
- How to Warm Your Corn Tortillas For Tacos. Taking a few minutes to warm your corn tortillas before serving adds SO much flavor and helps prevent your tortillas from breaking. You can warm them in the oven, on the stove, or even in the microwave!
- How to Make Amazing Scrambled Eggs. Good scrambled eggs will make or break your healthy breakfast tacos, so if you need tips on how to make them, this scrambled eggs tutorial is really helpful.
- How to Make Homemade Pico de Gallo. I love a good store-bought pico de gallo, but it’s also really easy (and fast!) to make your own if you want to put these vegetarian breakfast tacos over the top. Learn how we make our pico de gallo here.
- How to Make Seasoned Black Beans. I often use canned seasoned black beans (these ones from Bush’s have great flavor!), but if you’d like to make your own, this is my favorite method.