This cherry pie recipe is so good, we served it at our wedding! Gluten Free (or not!) & Vegan.
- 1 double pie crust, regular or gluten free
- 2 (14.5oz) cans pitted red tart cherries packed in water, drained, reserving 3/4c cherry liquid**
- 1/2c dried tart cherries
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch**
- 1/2c sugar**
- 1 Tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- optional: egg wash (1 egg + 1 Tbsp milk or water), coarse sugar (known as turbinado or sugar in the raw)
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch and 1/2c sugar. Stir in reserved cherry liquid. Stirring constantly with a whisk, bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute while mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and almond extract. Fold in all cherries.
- Pour filling into prepared pie shell. Cover with top crust, doing a lattice if you feel fancy.
- Brush the top of the crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or till golden.
- Allow pie to completely cool before serving for best results. This will take several hours, but will allow the filling to set properly.
Whole food substitutions:
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder in place of the 4 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp honey in place of the 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups frozen tart cherries, thawed
3/4 cup water in place of the canned cherry water