This Apple Cranberry Pie with crumble topping is what dreams are made of. (Gluten-Free + Vegan-Friendly!)
PS – Love an extra-soft pie filling? Check out the notes for tips!
FOR THE PIE + FILLING
- 1 (9″) pie crust, gluten-free or traditional.
- 2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (this will be about 5–6 medium apples, or 6–7 cups sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or white sugar)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup butter or vegan butter, softened (1/2 cup butter = 4 oz. or one stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free, as needed)
- 1/2 cup flour (I use gluten-free measure-for-measure flour, but it also works with white flour)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you haven’t already, assemble or prep your crust.
- Make the pie filling in a large bowl. Combine sliced apples, cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and cornstarch. Stir until apples are well coated and no dry spots remain.
- Pour apple cranberry filling into your prepared pie crust.
- In the same bowl (save dishes!) or a fresh medium bowl, combine the crumble ingredients. Add softened butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, vanilla, and salt to the bowl and stir with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture comes together in large clumps/clusters. You don’t want any dry/floury patches remaining.
- Carefully sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of the apple pie filling, making sure to cover the filling as well as you can. (This will look like a VERY tall pie at the start. Don’t worry, it cooks down quite a bit in the oven.)
- Place the assembled pie on a baking sheet (to catch any spills or drips), and bake the pie at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbly around the sides.
- NOTE: Check your pie at the 30-minute mark and again at the 45-minute mark to check for browning. If your crumble or crust is browning too quickly, you can carefully tent the crust with strips of foil, cover the whole pie loosely in foil, or move the pie to a lower rack in the oven.
- Transfer the hot pie to a cooling rack and let the pie cool at least 2-3 hours before slicing to allow the pie filling to set. (Ideally, you want the pie to cool completely.)
- Slice the pie and serve with a dollop of your favorite ice cream or whipped cream/whipped coconut cream. Store cooked, cooled pie in the refrigerator for best results.
*TIPS FOR A SOFTER FILLING. If you like your apple pies to have a super tender filling, I recommend cooking the filling ingredients together with 1 Tbsp. of butter or vegan butter over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes before adding them to the pie crust. (More of your cranberries will burst this way, too.)
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cranberry crumble pie, apple cranberry pie, apple cranberry streusel pie, Dutch apple cranberry pie, gluten free apple cranberry pie,