Now that Easter is over, for some reason I feel like summer is just around the corner. Thinking about summer makes me think about grilling. Oh, you guys! I had a craving out of the blue so strong for a salmon burger. I needed a salmon burger. Thankfully, the craving happened on grocery shopping day and the burgers were sizzling on the pan by dinnertime.
I didn’t want just any salmon burger. I wanted something soft and flavorful. These were tender, juicy and so delicious. You might not think that barbecue sauce would work with salmon, but it was perfect! Michael, a convert to fish, totally agreed.
Feel free to top these however you want. We opted for toasted buns, barbecue sauce, a bit of crisp lettuce, and a few slices of tomatoes. Michael had some dill pickle and really loved it.
- 1½lbs salmon, cut into 1″ pieces (uncooked)
- ½c panko breadcrumbs
- 1 shallot minced
- 2-3 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- olive oil
- 6 buns
- barbecue sauce
- any other favorite burger toppings
- In a food processor, pulse salmon 2-3 times to break the pieces up slightly. Add breadcrumbs, shallot, cilantro, barbecue sauce, mustard, pepper, and salt. Pulse until just combined. Form mixture into 6 patties, handling as little as possible.
- To cook, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add burgers, working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan. Cook burgers 3-4 minutes per side, turning once. Serve on buns with additional barbecue sauce and favorite burger toppings.