1. Turning a corner. I feel like we’re starting to turn a corner with Milo and the hates-napping-but-also-hates-quiet-time situation. I think there are a few more corners to turn before we’re in the clear, but I saw progress this week and I’m cheering about it.
We did have one surprise nap one day this week after Sophie’d been up LOUDLY for a long time the night before. I wanted to sleep too, so I didn’t blame him.
2. This face. I occasionally look up from cooking or building a train track and see this cheesy grin shining back at me. Milo usually follows it with “I so happy to see you, Mama!” and a fake-laugh with a crinkled nose. Which slays me dead. He’s literally stopped people in their tracks this week with cuteness/flirtatiousness.
3. Back in the ballerina game. Sophie’s back in dance as of this week, which is a life-saver considering how often she announces “I haff to practice my danceen!”
She’s SO EXCITED and so happy to be back in the swing of things. Her unfailingly patient teacher was also really nice the first day when Sophie kept interrupting and wandering. Bless her, bless her.
4. Sophie’s art is taking a really fun turn. She’s starting to draw unique drawings rather than the same things over and over. Things like Sophie and a sad unicorn under the moon (left), or me cutting her hair while holding a squirt bottle (right), or a rainy day in a garden.
She’s also independently discovered the joys of mixed media and likes cutting out shapes from one drawing and layering them over other pictures. I wish I could listen to her thought process while she’s working. She’s spent hours this last week making art. It’s my fave!
5. The power of picnics. It’s amazing what a little living room picnic does for morale at our house. Sophie loves to find the tightest corner in the room and barricade herself in. Milo, of course, sets up camp riiiiiight next to the barricade and slowly dismantles it when she’s eating. Thankfully, most days, she lets him without a fuss.
P.S. A few features recently:
- My recipe for Coconut Lime Energy Bites over at Super Healthy Kids
- My recipe for Dairy Free Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream was featured at 21 Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes to Try This Summer – Traditional Cooking School