Five Fact Friday – As of this afternoon, school’s out for summer! We’re READY and jumping in with a quick little Five Fact Friday to kick things off.
1. A long summer. We only have 8 weeks of summer break (we’ll start back up in July!), but Milo is already done with the heat. As he pulled his bike into the garage yesterday morning after dropping Sophie off, he asked “Mom? Is it going to be hot again when we get Sophie?”
Me: “Yes, buddy. It’s going to be 105 degrees today.”
Milo: “Ugh! Hot AGAIN?! It’s a long summer….”
(Me, to myself): You. have. no. i.dea.
2. A short summer. Heat aside, we really are looking forward to a lot about summer. We don’t have an big trips lined up yet (though we have a few things in the works that might pan out!), but we plan on soaking up a lot of pool and splash pad time, homemade ice cream and popsicles, and stacks and stacks of books. 8 weeks really isn’t all that long!
3. Chapters. We’ve been reading some really fun early chapter books lately. We picked up Imagination Station (Thank you, Tiffany!), the first of the Boxcar Children, and Sophie Mouse, which we’ve been smitten with. I’ve also requested How to Train Your Dragon, and I’m trying to track down Goldie Blox which has a STEM spin I think both Milo and Sophie would love.
4. An Incredible Movie Night. This is totally an “inchstone,” but we’ve had a lot more successful movie nights as a family lately. Watching new things can be really hard for Sophie especially, and we had SO MUCH FUN watching The Incredibles over the weekend. Both kids were in stitches, completely snuggled up right next to me as close as they could get. It was one of those moments where I thought “this is magic.”
5. A Little Balance. I’ve been looking at all kinds of good ideas for summer with kids. I like to strike a good balance between a bit of structure (my kids crave “landmarks” throughout the day), with plenty of open time for whatever sounds good. Do you have any special summer routines? I’m actually planning to re-visit a lot of the fun things we’ve done in previous summers.