Five Fact Friday – We’re wrapping up our fall break with good food, plenty of book time, and very small adventures. Happy weekend, friends!
1. Book time. Milo is starting to work on sight words and sound things out. It’s been SO fun to watch this unfold and to see how excited he is about it. I more or less felt like Sophie taught herself to read, so I feel like I don’t really know how to help Milo other than to practice sounding things out in our BOB books and putting some sight words on the fridge (which he LOVES practicing). I don’t feel any pressure to push him along just yet, so it’s been nothing but fun to see him excited about reading and recognizing words.
2. Guess who’s writing a cookbook? I wish the answer was me. (Not yet! But if anyone knows a publisher who’s looking…). Sophie started writing a cookbook this week (she’ll have one published before I ever do!). She’s been making her own scrambled eggs (supervised), spreading jam on bread, pouring cereal, etc., and wanted to help make a cake this week. We were all quite happy to taste test. “Just because” cakes taste the best, anyway.
3. Mind the gap. The other big thing at our house was a visit from the tooth fairy! Sophie’s two top teeth have been loose for MONTHS, but she decided one night that she would like one of her teeth to come out. An hour later, she and I got it pulled without any tears, and she was DELIGHTED to leave a note and a fairy-sized drawing she made for the tooth fairy. She keeps saying “I’m very comfortable now. I don’t mind a gap in my smile.”
(Side note: she now seems even more grown up than she has lately! EEK!)
4. #Siblings. This year has brought more laughter and bickering than ever for these two. They really are the best buddies and the worst enemies sometimes! This week I’ve heard a lot of “I need some SPACE!” and “I NEED A BREAK FROM YOU!” but, thankfully, there has also been a lot of laughing about nothing in between spats. #siblings, amiright?
5. A whole lot of not a lot. The second week of fall break is SIGNIFICANTLY less exciting than the first week (it’s hard to compete with the happiest place on earth, after all). But after some time away, it’s been mostly just right. We’re wrapping things up with a trip to the pumpkin patch (in the sweaty hot heat!), and I’m trying to figure out some outfits for family pictures. (Not my skill set!). But mostly, we’ll be doing a whole lot of not a lot. Which is sometimes my favorite way to spend a weekend.
After my first missed newsletter in 18 months last week (ack!), the weekly newsletter is headed out tonight at 6pm PST. I’ve got some ideas for planning meals without too much stress, weekly favorites, and more. Be sure you’re signed up if you don’t want to miss it!