Five Fact Friday – Thank goodness for a chance to focus on the good! This week, I’m loving some special snuggles, brave girls, and more. Happy weekend!
1. Happy Easter. Easter was lovely and very low key at our house, which is the way I love it best. Both kids loved remembering the traditions from the year before. We hunted for eggs, dyed eggs, and enjoyed a few Easter basket surprises. (These ages are SO FUN!) Milo did find out about the Easter Bunny this year after asking me directly, but said “don’t tell Sophie. We should keep the magic alive.” It was so sweet. Eventually, though, Sophie asked, too, so they both know. They didn’t extrapolate to the Tooth Fairy or Santa, so we’ll see how that goes…
2. Allowance. The kids started earning allowance a few months ago, and it’s been so funny to see what they decide to spend it on. Milo is quickly buying up every Cars car known to man, but he also surprises me by choosing things like a paint set here and there. Sophie’s more of a saver, but she’s really into Barbies at the moment, which has me all kinds of nostalgic.
3. April Cards. Sophie has this wonderful quiet observant quality. She takes mental note of 9,000 things I don’t really pay attention to (like what someone was wearing the last time you saw them, or what our room number was on vacation 6 months ago). She remembers things and is so thoughtful about what she remembers. (They wore blue, so I’ll make them a blue picture, etc.).
This weekend, she went into her room for some alone time (a girl after my own heart) and that night when I tucked her in told me “Mom, I’m excited to give my class the ‘Happy April’ cards I made for them.” She’d made 22 (simple) cards to give out to her class.
4. Lay-bys. Milo’s been asking me to lay with him a few minutes at night lately “so we can talk about exciting things.” He just really loves to have a good conversation, so we hold hands in the dark, and he tells me what he’s excited for during the week. He’s my snuggler and has such a sweet little heart. I’m going to miss this when he feels too big for it.
5. I can be different. Sophie’s been battling some tough neurological issues that crop up whenever she has a cold or allergies. I asked her during one episode whether she was okay, and she said, “oh yes, I’m fine. People in the world can be different, and this is just one way I can be different, Mom.”
Oh, my heart broke into a thousand pieces of love and pain and happiness and sadness. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I want to be Sophie when I grow up. I feel like she’s such a courageous, brave, wise soul tucked into such a little body.
Thank goodness for moments of snuggles and sweetness this week! I really needed them. And thank goodness for Five Fact Fridays, which always give me a chance to focus on the good.
Happy weekend, dear reader!
Wishing you every good thing.
PS – The weekly newsletter is headed out tonight at 6pm PST. I’ve got some good weekly favorites this week–from the book that made me laugh it was so ridiculous (in a great way), to the podcast I can’t stop thinking about and more. Be sure you’re all signed up so you don’t miss it!