Easy Paleo Mini Quiche – These little egg cups are a perfect make-ahead breakfast or lunch on the go. Add your favorite meats and veggies to keep things interesting!
Originally posted Nov. 2015. Post, photos, and recipe updated Dec 2017.
It feels like this has been the year of meal prep. Everyone seems to be looking for ways to save time and energy in the kitchen and all I can say is AMEN to that! It’s so much easier to eat healthfully and have plenty of energy when you have a few things prepped ahead of time.
This Paleo Mini Quiche have been one of my most popular recipes in the last few years. They’re easy, convenient, and endlessly customizable. You know what that means? NO MORE GETTING BORED!
I love that I can make a whole pan at once and have breakfast ready to go for several days. I can make a whole batch all the same, or make each individual egg cup just a little bit different. Mini quiche are a great way to use up leftover produce, greens, or herbs in the kitchen and can easily be loaded up with veggies, or packed with extra protein.
Since the “recipe” is more of a formula, I thought I’d share a few of my non-negotiables.
- First, I always use a silicone muffin pan pan. It’s completely (totally, utterly) nonstick and spares me needing to grease or line any muffin cups. I set the muffin pan on a baking sheet (to prevent anything accidentally sloshing around) and the quiche pop right out of the muffin pan when they’re done! (You can totally use a traditional muffin pan, you’ll just want to grease the muffin cups first).
- Pre-cook anything hard. Butternut squash, sweet potatoes or white potatoes, etc. will do best when they’ve been cooked beforehand. Depending on your own preferences, you may also prefer to saute things like mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions ahead of time too.
- Cook your protein ahead of time. Crisp up any bacon, brown that sausage, etc.
Beyond that, it’s largely up to you! Load them up with veggies–bell peppers, onion, tomatoes, cooked squash or sweet potatoes, spinach or kale, mushrooms, etc. Add in any additional protein you like (bacon, sausage, chopped ham, etc.) and finish things off with some fresh herbs if you like! You can even set out all the different add-ins you have on hand and let everyone “build” his or her own, kind of like making a pan of omelets all at once.
Whether you make them all for you for meal prep, or make a batch for a big weekend get-together, brunch, or breakfast, these paleo mini quiche are such a yummy take on eggs!
MORE TIPS FOR PALEO MINI QUICHE:
One important tip is that you cook any meats or dense veggies (onions, peppers, potatoes, squash, etc.) beforehand to ensure even cooking, which makes them an excellent way to use up leftover sautéed or roasted veggies from dinner! I don’t worry about cooking greens, mushrooms, or herbs ahead of time, as I find they do just fine without pre-cooking.
I swear by this muffin pan! This is the silicone muffin pan I have. We use it for savory things, like these quiche, or to big batches of muffins for breakfasts, snacks, and lunches. It’s easy to clean and easy to store. We also have the mini muffin pan, which is fantastic for anything child-sized.
Can you freeze these? Yes! I freeze them in a single layer (so they don’t stick together!) and store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. You can re-heat them in the oven or microwave, or let them thaw in your refrigerator before heating. It’s up to you!
A fun variation. I sometimes do and sometimes don’t line the muffin cups with ham or prosciutto, depending on whether I have some to use up. It makes a kind of “crust” at the bottom that can be nice. Just add a slice of ham or prosciutto first, then add your veggies/meat/eggs.
Get Creative With Veggies. Think outside the box! Why not try grated zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, or green chile?
Looking for More Ideas? You Might Also Like:
- Meal Prep in Minutes – Lots of ideas for quick & easy meal prep!
- 5 Fresh Smoothie Bowls
- 7 Easy Ways with Overnight Oats
- Cinnamon Pecan Muffins
- These sous vide egg bites look AMAZING. So many ways you can flavor them!