Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie – This is the best watermelon smoothie recipe we know! Super hydrating, delicious & easy! (Naturally paleo, vegan & gluten-free)
In summer, hydration is the name of the game!
Between morning walks, exercise, busy days playing, and plenty of swimming in the hot sun, we are always looking for ways to get enough to drink. Our family is big on water, but we also love a daily smoothie.
One of our favorites in the summer months (especially for snack after a pool afternoon when we’re a bit on the dehydrated side!) is a watermelon smoothie. This strawberry watermelon smoothie recipe has been on repeat at our house since my 9 year old was 2, and I’m so glad that watermelon season is back so we can make our inaugural batch for the summer!
They’re fresh, light, and SO easy to make. Here’s all you need to get started for these hydrating watermelon smoothies…
Here’s What Goes Into Our Strawberry Watermelon Smoothie Recipe:
- Seedless Watermelon. This is the perfect way to use up an extra large watermelon or a watermelon that’s a little less than perfect. Plus, watermelon is a great source of natural electrolytes, vitamin c, fiber, antioxidants (like lycopene), fiber, AND it is super hydrating–exactly what we need in summer!
- Frozen Strawberries. Using frozen strawberries adds a little thickness & frostiness to the smoothie that’s so refreshing on a hot day!
- Lime Zest & Lime Juice. I use both the lime zest and the lime juice for watermelon smoothies, since you’ll get the most flavor by using both. Be sure to ONLY use the green zest, not the white pith underneath, as the pith is bitter.
How To Make Strawberry Watermelon Smoothies, Step By Step:
It’s almost laughably easy how simple this berry watermelon smoothie recipe is. (Ha!) It’s literally as simple as 1, 2, 3:
- LOAD THE BLENDER. Place watermelon, strawberries, lime zest, and lime juice in the blender.
- BLEND. Puree until completely smooth. Taste for sweetness (ours is almost always sweet enough!) and add a tiny drizzle of honey, agave, or pure maple syrup if needed.
- ENJOY! Pour into glasses & serve!
PS – Need A Blender? Try Refurbished!
We’ve been testing blenders for the last few months, and love this Blendtec blender, this Kitchen Aid blender, and this Vitamix blender. Shopping refurbished blenders directly from the company is a great way to save BIG on a blender! We only own refurbished blenders and they work great!
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Watermelon Smoothie:
ADD SOME PROTEIN. If you like, you can add a scoop or two of unflavored collagen protein to this watermelon strawberry smoothie to balance the macros a bit better. Know that it will change the appearance and reduce the flavor slightly. Or, play around with a spoonful or two of Greek yogurt, or a few tablespoons chia seeds!
TURN IT INTO A POPSICLE. This makes the most amazing watermelon smoothie, but if you have leftovers or feel like a fun treat, freeze this smoothie in a popsicle mold to make Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles!
WANT IT FROSTIER? Try using half frozen watermelon and half fresh watermelon! The frozen watermelon adds even more frostiness, which can be lovely on a hot day! (Learn how to freeze watermelon in this post.) Or, you can add a few ice cubes to the blender with the other ingredients.
TRY IT WITH LEMON! We make this strawberry watermelon smoothie most often with lime zest & lime juice, but it’s also delicious with lemon zest & lemon juice! (This variation gives total strawberry lemonade vibes!)
OR SWAP THE BERRIES! Or, mix things up by using raspberries or blueberries in place of the strawberries. Both add delicious flavor!