Oh, baby were these good. I mean REALLY good. I’ve been wanting something lighter and have seen recipes all over the place for chipotle roasted sweet potatoes. It got me thinking that I’ve wanted to try a meatless burrito with more than just, you know, beans.
I wanted something that was low-maintenance and full of flavor, and you know what, dear reader? I came up with just the thing.
Even if you don’t think you love sweet potatoes, but you do love tacos/burritos/Tex-Mex, I’d recommend you give these a try. VERY budget friendly, healthy, and even potentially vegan (skip the cheese or sour cream), these are full of flavor, and not really sweet-potato-tasting.
Roasting the sweet potatoes and onions gives them great texture, while the taco seasoning keeps them flavorful and not-too-sweet. I thought the sweet potatoes went beautifully with black beans for a hearty yet light burrito filling. We ate ours with a little cilantro, lettuce, and tomato, but you could certainly add cheese, sour cream, salsa, or any other favorite taco/burrito add-in.
If you’re feeling fancy, you can grill the burritos on a stove-top griddle or in a panini press. I kind of liked the crispy exterior, but they were just as tasty when made without grilling. It’s up to you.
The filling freezes pretty well (it does get a little softer when it thaws), and again, makes a great meatless option, even on a crazy night.
- 1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small or ½ large onion, cut into a large dice
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (about ½ a commercial packet)*
- olive oil
- 1 (14.5oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro (optional)
- 10″ Tortillas*
- Favorite toppings: lettuce, tomato, lime wedges, salsa, sour cream*, cheese* etc. for serving.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato, onion, taco seasoning and about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Stir to coat well. Spread mixture out on a large baking sheet.
- Roast at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring half-way through the cook time, and adding more olive oil if necessary.
- Toss black beans and cilantro with roasted vegetables and scoop into tortillas with favorite toppings. Roll to seal burritos and grill if desired.