Chipotle Sweet Potatoes make the best base for burrito bowls.
Add your favorite toppings to make them your own!
I love pretty much any dinner in a bowl. A nice bed of rice or veggies, some protein, a little freshness, maybe a sauce or dressing… I’m in. Whether it’s a bowl of butter chicken with fresh broccoli or green beans, island rice bowls, or sweet potato burrito bowls like these, I love that it’s an all-in-one kind of meal. I also love that everyone can make their bowl the way they like it, which means less fussing or fighting at the table.
These Chipotle Sweet Potato Bowls are loaded with flavor and color. You can easily serve them to a group with all kinds of dietary needs or restrictions. Serving someone paleo or doing a Whole30? They can build a bowl with chicken, lettuce, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and avocados or guacamole. Vegans and vegetarians can fill their bowls with beans, rice, sweet potatoes, and fresh veggies.
A few notes on the recipe:
A little zing. One thing I will say is that these potatoes definitely have some zing to them (which is perfect with the super mild green rice we served them with), but if you have kids with extra sensitive tastebuds, you may want to decrease the chipotle powder to 1/4 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp, or roast one potato with the spice mix and one potato without.
Toppings. I love adding avocado to mine to tie everything together, but a little homemade ranch or fresh salsa also does wonders to tie things together if avocado isn’t your jam. As for the other add-ins, feel free to add anything you’d put on a burrito or in a taco!
If you like this post, you might also like:
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos
- Magic Green Rice (SO good with these!)
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice – SkinnyTaste
- Cilantro Ranch Dressing – Bless This Mess
- !For the chipotle sweet potatoes:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4–1/2 tsp salt (or, to taste)
- !For burrito bowls:
- Rice (or cauliflower rice)
- black beans or chicken
- fresh cilantro
- avocado or guacamole
- salsa or ranch dressing
For the sweet potatoes:
- In a large bowl, stir together sweet potatoes and olive oil. Sprinkle over spice mix and stir to coat.
- Spread out onto a baking sheet and roast at 375 for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Serve plain or build into burrito bowls.
For burrito bowls:
- Add you favorite toppings–lettuce, tomatoes, rice or cauliflower rice, avocado or guacamole,