Almond Poppy Seed Dip
I said it on Monday, and I’ll say it again: it’s the most wonderful (produce) time of the year! Michael and I are totally okay with eating a main dish and then fruits and veggies on the side, but occasionally when we have house or dinner guests, we find they feel that something is lacking. That you can’t just have “plain old” fruit for dinner and call it a side dish.
While I may not agree, adding a dip to the mix somehow makes everyone happy.
I’ll be honest, this dip isn’t going to win you a place in Gourmet magazine for its complicated ingredients and method. It’s one of those recipes you bring to ladies’ get togethers or church potlucks. Something light-tasting, easily paired with lots of different fruit, and tasty to boot.
Yes, before you judge, it DOES call for some instant vanilla pudding mix. If you’d rather make your own pudding mix, Michelle over at Browneyed Baker has a great-looking from-scratch recipe you can find here. Pudding mix and all, this dip was delicious and tasted almost like eating cake batter. We loved it, and Sophie did too!
(Side note: there will never be a replacement for my favorite fruit dip ever of all time, but this was delicious and we look forward to having it again!)Print
Almond Poppy Seed Dip
- 8oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese (Neufchatel cheese), softened
- 1c sour cream
- 1/2–3/4 (4-serving/3.4oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix*
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- dash almond extract (1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- a little milk, if desired, for thinning
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 package pudding mix, sugar, and almond extract. Taste and add additional pudding mix if desired. Fold in poppy seeds. If mixture seems too thick, drizzle in a little milk to thin out to desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh fruit (berries, bananas, kiwi, and apple slices are all great). Additionally, you could also dip in graham crackers or anything else that sounds tasty.
*Jell-O brand instant vanilla pudding is gluten free
Oh. My. Goodness. My mind is officially blown. This looks and sounds AMAZING… I CANNOT WAIT TO MAKE IT… Immediately.
This dip sounds so yummy – and your fruit looks… divine!
I’m loving this dip!
I don’t mind a little pudding mix once in a while. This looks fabulous, I love the almond/poppyseed combo, so unique!
This is amazing! Must make!
Mmm! This looks great! I can’t wait to try it. 🙂