For a dipping sauce, we mixed together equal parts dijon mustard and coconut aminos/tamari. You can also add a little chili oil or Sriracha if you like it hot!
For the filling:
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil (olive or coconut oil would work well too)
- 1 lb ground chicken (we grind raw chicken breast or chicken thighs in our food processor)
- 6–8 oz. button or baby bella mushrooms, finely minced
- 1 (8oz.) can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4–1/3 cup coconut aminos, GF tamari, or soy sauce
- Lettuce leaves (butter lettuce, romaine hearts, or iceberg lettuce work well)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Prepare the filling by heating the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until fully cooked all the way through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, and green onions. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened.
- Add ginger, garlic, and 4 Tbsp coconut aminos (or tamari or soy sauce) and cook 1 minute longer, stirring to coat chicken mixture.
- Add additional sauce as desired (remember you don’t want it too wet, or it will make eating your lettuce wraps a very messy, soggy experience).
- Scoop mixture onto lettuce leaves. Top with cilantro, if desired, and your favorite dipping sauce.
Not a chicken fan? LOTS of readers have made these with ground pork or turkey over the last few years without any trouble! I just don’t care for ground turkey (it’s too strong-tasting to me). You can also grind your own chicken, like we did. We ground our own chicken using a 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs and our food processor. Worked like a charm!
Fit your own diet. If you don’t have any dietary restrictions, you can use soy sauce for this recipe. If you need something gluten free, we go with tamari, and if you need something paleo, coconut aminos works beautifully.
- Category: Appetizer, Main Dish, Chicken
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Lettuce Wraps, Paleo Lettuce Wraps, Asian chicken lettuce wraps, whole30 chicken lettuce wraps, gluten free chicken lettuce wraps, chicken lettuce wraps