Dairy Free Flourless Chocolate Cake – This dense, perfectly rich chocolate cake is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and naturally sweetened, but has all the indulgent decadence you’re looking for on a special occasion. Pro tip: don’t skip the raspberry sauce!
I need very few excuses to make something chocolate, but Valentine’s Day is one of my favorites. So, I did it up right–a dense, perfectly rich flourless chocolate cake. And, because I couldn’t resist, a bright, beautiful raspberry sauce to drizzle over top.
This, dear reader, is what chocolate dreams are made of.
I love flourless chocolate cake for its fudgy texture and the delicious richness that’s perfect in small doses. A thin little slice feels just decadent enough without being too much. This flourless chocolate cake is made from gluten and dairy free ingredients and couldn’t be easier.
Here’s What Goes Into Our Paleo Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe:
- Unsweetened Chocolate. This allows you to control the sweetness of the cake and gives velvety smooth texture and deep chocolate flavor.
- Coconut Oil (Or Butter or Vegan Butter). Next up is melted coconut oil–a great way to make dairy-free flourless chocolate cake! If you like, you can absolutely swap this out for butter (if dairy isn’t a problem for you) or vegan butter. Whichever works best for your dietary needs.
- Pure Maple Syrup. This keeps our flourless chocolate cake naturally sweetened!
- Eggs. For puff and fudginess. Yum!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. This adds more depth and helps make up for the lack of flour.
- Vanilla Extract & Salt. To balance the flavors. Easy!
Delicious Toppings For Dairy-Free Flourless Chocolate Cake:
Flourless chocolate cakes are very no-fuss, but they feel really indulgent and a little bit fancy, which makes them perfect for dinner parties or holidays. They stand on their own beautifully, but there are also a TON of ways you could serve this to take it to the next level…
TOPPING IDEAS FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- With fresh raspberry sauce (see below!)
- Sliced strawberries
- Whipped coconut cream or whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate
- A pinch of coarse sea salt
- Toasted almonds or hazelnuts
- Vegan caramel sauce
- A sprinkle of powdered sugar
- Coconut (especially toasted coconut)
- Toffee bits
However you plan to serve it, trust me that a thin little slice goes a long way. And the final result will be close-your-eyes good.
Tips & Tricks For The Best Paleo Flourless Chocolate Cake:
THIS IS A DENSE CAKE. This flourless chocolate cake won’t rise much at all, and it’ll be very fudgy and rich (somewhere between fudge and a brownie). That’s the beauty of flourless chocolate cake. It’s a little bit different, and it’s SO GOOD. Don’t panic if it doesn’t puff up much in the oven. That’s exactly how it’s supposed to be.
IT FREEZES LIKE A DREAM! You can slice and freeze flourless chocolate cake with no trouble, which means it’s great for making ahead of time (or pulling out a single slice on a day when it would hit the spot). Similarly, you can make the raspberry sauce ahead of time. You can freeze it, or refrigerate it.
The trick is to use parchment paper. First, grease your pan (or spray it with nonstick spray). Cut two long strips of parchment and make an “X” on the bottom of the pan. Fold them over the edge of the pan a bit so they don’t flop right into your batter. Then, layer in a circle that’s been cut to fit the bottom of your pan (I just trace the pan on parchment and cut it out) and pour in your batter. When the cake has cooled a few minutes on a cooling rack, you’ll use the “X” strips as handles to lift the cake out.
To review: spray/grease pan > place an “X” of parchment strips and fold the ends over the edge of the pan > place a circle of parchment cut to fit the bottom of the pan on top of the “X” > pour in batter. It’s my formula for perfect cakes every time–for this cake or any cake!
HELPFUL TOOLS + INGREDIENTS FOR THIS FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE: