Vegan Chocolate Pie – This gorgeous dairy-free chocolate cream pie has a rich chocolatey filling and crispy chocolate cookie crust your whole family will flip for! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
For me, the Thanksgiving meal is all about the side dishes and the PIE.
I come from a pie-loving family (my aunts and uncles bake enough pies to cover my grandma’s entire dining table every year on Thanksgiving), and I love carrying on this tradition.
My goal is usually to have plenty of variety. It’s so fun to have a good mix of pies! I’ll add some pies with crumble topping, others with a pretty top crust, a velvety pumpkin pie, and then usually a cold cream pie for good measure. Our dairy-free chocolate cream pie is always a HUGE hit especially with my nieces and nephews who don’t love warm fruit pies.
This vegan chocolate pie is the real deal. With its crispy chocolate cookie crust, silky, rich chocolate filling, and maybe a dollop of coconut whipped cream on top, it’s always one of the first pies to go around the holidays. (And we’re the only ones who eat dairy-free!)
And, just like when I made my vegan chocolate pudding, I didn’t want to make this using tofu, cashews, avocado, or banana. Here’s how I make an ultra-creamy vegan chocolate cream pie…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY VEGAN CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE:
A CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST. I love doubling down on the chocolate factor here by starting with a chocolate cookie crust. If you’re not gluten-free, you can use traditional Oreos (did you know they’re vegan?!) or you can swap in gluten-free cookies for a gluten-free crust like we do. (More on that in a minute!)
A CREAMY (VEGAN!) CHOCOLATE PUDDING FILLING. What makes this pie unforgettable is its rich chocolate cream filling. It’s thick, cool, creamy, and super chocolatey. It’s made from things like:
- COCOA POWDER + CHOCOLATE CHIPS. A double-dose of chocolate gives you rich cocoa flavor and a velvety smooth chocolate cream texture that’s incredible.
- COCONUT SUGAR (OR WHITE SUGAR). I usually opt for coconut sugar here (it’s thought to be slightly easier on your blood sugar), but white sure also works if that’s easier for you!
- COCONUT MILK + ALMOND MILK. To keep this dairy-free chocolate pie filling from tasting super coconutty, I use a blend of coconut milk (for thickness + texture) and almond milk. You can use cashew, soy, or oat milk instead of almond milk if you prefer.
- VANILLA + SALT. To balance the flavors and make the chocolate taste even more chocolatey, you’ll add vanilla and a little pinch of salt to the vegan chocolate pie filling. Don’t forget them!
- CORNSTARCH OR ARROWROOT. To thicken the vegan chocolate pie filling mixture, you’ll need the thickening power of cornstarch or arrowroot. Cornstarch will give you the most consistent results, but arrowroot makes a great option if you avoid corn.
PRETTY FINISHES FOR THE TOP. Then, if you want to go big (and who doesn’t?!), you can top this with some whipped coconut cream + shaved chocolate. You can make your own coconut whipped cream, but I actually love using store-bought dairy-free whipped cream topping like SoDelicious CocoWhip or TruWhip Vegan Topping. (I get them at Sprouts, Whole Foods, or Natural Grocer). Reddi Wip also makes almond milk whipped cream and coconut milk whipped cream these days and those work pretty well, too.
LET’S TALK CRUST: 2 TYPES OF CRUST YOU CAN USE FOR VEGAN CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE:
1. CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST. My favorite pie crust for chocolate cream pie is an Oreo or chocolate cookie crust. All you need is Oreo cookies or gluten-free Oreo-type cookies (see the FAQ for our favorites!), and vegan butter to make it! You’ll just crush the chocolate cookies into a fine powder, blend with the melted vegan butter, and either go no-bake or bake for a few minutes to set it. Easy-peasy!
2. TRADITIONAL FLAKY CRUST. If you love a traditional flaky pie crust, you’ll love this vegan pie crust or this gluten-free vegan pie crust. You’ll need to “blind bake” the crust (bake it without filling) before pouring in your vegan chocolate pie filling.
HOW TO BLIND BAKE A PIE CRUST:
- Gently press a large square of parchment paper into the unbaked pie shell.
- Pour in about 1 cup of dried beans, uncooked rice, or a set of pie weights to weigh down the crust.
- Bake the pie crust for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges of the crust are turning golden. (This is called “blind baking”)
- Carefully remove the parchment paper and weights/beans (I gather all four corners of the parchment in my hand and lift so the pie weights/beans come with it).
- Bake an additional 5 minutes to help set the bottom a bit more.
- Let the crust cool completely before you add your chocolate cream filling.
FAQ + TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE PIE:
I DON’T LIKE COCONUT. CAN I USE SOMETHING BESIDES COCONUT MILK? If you substitute the coconut milk for another milk (like almond, cashew, oat, etc.) just know that your pie filling will set much looser and thinner, and it likely won’t slice as prettily. (It will taste great, but it doesn’t have the same setting power or thickness as coconut milk.)
DO I HAVE TO ADD THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS TO THE PIE FILLING? Yes. You really do! They’re crucial for texture and for completing the chocolate flavor of the vegan chocolate cream pie filling. You can get by with a chopped chocolate bar or chocolate chips, but you cannot omit the chocolate all together.
OUR FAVORITE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIPS. If you’re looking for vegan chocolate chips, we love Enjoy Life, and Toll House Simply Delicious chocolate chips. Many stores now carry allergy-friendly store brands, though, so keep an eye out for those as well!
WHAT ARE THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE COOKIES FOR GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUST? Our favorite gluten-free cookies for chocolate cookie crust are Glutino Chocolate Vanilla Creme Cookies, Kinnikinnik K-Toos, or Gluten-Free Joe-Joe cookies from Trader Joe’s (Note: Joe-Joe’s are vegetarian not vegan).
PRO TIP: CONSIDER A STORE-BOUGHT DAIRY-FREE WHIPPED CREAM. I love making things from scratch, but for the most consistent results here, I actually love using store-bought dairy-free whipped cream topping. They tend to be more stable and last better when pies are set out for a while. I like SoDelicious CocoWhip or TruWhip Vegan Topping. (I get them at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Kroger, or Natural Grocer). Reddi Wip also makes almond milk whipped cream and coconut milk whipped cream these days! I find it at Target, Kroger, Walmart, etc. If you prefer to make your own, here’s a simple tutorial.
CRAVING MORE? YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE:
- Apple Crumble Pie (Gluten-Free + Vegan-Friendly!)
- The BEST Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
- How to Make Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- Vegan Rice Pudding
- Paleo + Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes
HELPFUL INGREDIENTS + TOOLS FOR THIS DAIRY-FREE CHOCOLATE PIE RECIPE: