Funfetti Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats (Gluten Free + Vegan)
Funfetti Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats – These 5-ingredient sprinkle Rice Krispies are such a fun no-bake dessert! Use rainbow sprinkles or dress them up for holidays with seasonal ones! (Gluten free + vegan-friendly!)
Did any other 90s kids love that rainbow chip funfetti cake as a kid? I really loved it in all its sugary, rainbow sprinkle, shelf-stable frosting, boxed cake mix glory. (I’ve come a long way!)
These days, now that we’re gluten and dairy free, we skip the Funfetti cake (maybe someday I’ll come up with a GFDF dupe!), but we get our funfetti fix in with other fun treats. These Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats strike a lot of the same notes and have been such a fun, easy treat.
No-bake sprinkle Rice Krispies treats channel those Funfetti vibes with their bright sprinkles, vanilla notes, and all the ooey-gooey goodness you expect from a Rice Krispies treat. You can dress them up for nearly any holiday, and they’re always a hit with kids.
Here’s how easy it is to make birthday cake Rice Krispies treats (you only need 5 ingredients!)…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY FUNFETTI RICE KRISPIES TREATS
(GLUTEN FREE) CRISP RICE CEREAL. We start with a base of crisp rice (or crisp brown rice) cereal. If you’re gluten free, be SURE you’re buying certified gluten free crisp rice cereal–Rice Krispies brand is NOT gluten free! (Scroll down to the FAQ to see some of our favorite brands.)
BUTTER, VEGAN BUTTER OR COCONUT OIL. You can make funfetti rice krispies treats with butter, vegan butter, or even coconut oil. (I use coconut oil in our Toasted Marshmallow Treats and it’s AMAZING!)
MARSHMALLOWS (VEGAN, IF NEEDED). Then, for all the ooey-gooey goodness, you’ll add a bag of marshmallows. We’ve been digging Dandies lately–they’re made without corn syrup, have caramel-y vanilla notes, and they’re vegan! Any marshmallows you like will do (we’ve totally tried them with Jet Puffed!)
VANILLA. To make these sprinkle Rice Krispies taste like birthday cake, I add a little vanilla to the mixed marshmallow/butter mixture. (You can also add a few drops of almond extract or even butter extract to give it more of a birthday cake flavor)
JIMMIES SPRINKLES. To put the fun in our funfetti Rice Krispies treats, I add some jimmies sprinkles (the long rectangluar ones). They melt less easily than the small round sprinkles and hold their shape better over time. You can choose sprinkles that match the season (red + white for Valentine’s Day, red + green for Christmas, orange + black for Halloween, etc.), or go with rainbow. (These ones are dye-free!)
HOW TO GET THE BEST SOFT RICE KRISPIES TREATS
A few little tricks can help you get SUPER soft, light, gooey results. Here are my 3 best tips for perfectly soft Rice Krispies treats…
- MELT THE BUTTER/OIL ALL THE WAY BEFORE ADDING THE MARSHMALLOWS. My grandma taught me this trick, and it really makes a difference! For some reason, it helps the marshmallows melt more smoothly and evenly.
- USE DAMP OR GREASED FINGERS TO GENTLY EVEN OUT THE MIXTURE. Smoothing out a gooey mixture of marshmallows and rice cereal can sometimes be a sticky tricky mess. If you get your fingertips slightly damp (not wet!) or grease them slightly, it’ll make the job a lot easier.
- DON’T PACK THE MIXTURE DOWN TOO TIGHTLY. Lastly, do whatever you can do avoid smashing the cereal down into your pan. The less tightly you pack and compact it, the lighter and fluffier your birthday cake Rice Krispies treats will be.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR FUNFETTI RICE KRISPIES TREATS:
RICE KRISPIES BRAND CEREAL IS NOT GLUTEN FREE. If you’re gluten free, *don’t* buy Rice Krispies brand cereal. You need to look for certified gluten free crisp rice cereal. We like Barbara’s crisp brown rice cereal, and Nature’s Path crisp rice cereal.
THE BEST VEGAN MARSHMALLOWS. I really like the Dandies ones. I get the best price on Dandies marshmallows at places like Sprouts, Whole Foods, Thrive Market (online), and Natural Grocers. You can also order them from Amazon.
FYI IF YOU USE VEGAN MARSHMALLOWS. They might not blend in with the butter as smoothly as traditional mallows. Don’t worry! Just mix quickly as they melt and stir the mixture into the crisp rice cereal quickly.
LOOKING FOR DYE-FREE SPRINKLES? I’ve got you covered. These are our favorite dye-free sprinkles. (They use plant-dyes instead of artificial dyes.)
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO STORE RICE KRISPIES TREATS? The less air exposure they have, the fresher and softer they’ll stay. I recommend storing Rice Krispies treats in a zip top bag with the excess air pushed out, or even individual wrapping them if you want to really go for it. They’ll stay fresh on the counter for several days like this.
LOVE YUMMY NO-BAKE TREATS? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Healthy Scotcheroos (Gluten Free + Vegan)
- Gooey Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats (Gluten Free + Vegan)
- Toasted Marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats (Gluten Free + Vegan-Friendly)
- Healthy No-Bake Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)
- The BEST Soft Granola Bars (Gluten Free + Vegan)
HELPFUL PRODUCTS + INGREDIENTS FOR THESE BIRTHDAY CAKE RICE KRISPIES TREATS.
Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats
- Total Time: About 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 squares 1x
Funfetti Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats – These 5-ingredient sprinkle Rice Krispies are such a fun treat! These ones are even gluten free + vegan-friendly!
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal, gluten free as needed*
- 4 Tbsp. butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil
- 1 (10oz) bag marshmallows**
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup jimmies sprinkles
- Grease an 8×8″ or 9×9″ square baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- Place cereal in a large bowl (you want a big bowl for mixing)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter gently over low heat.
- Add marshmallows to the butter and melt over low heat until completely soft and melted.
- Add vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add melted marshmallow mixture to the cereal and fold in with a spatula.
- After the marshmallows have cooled down a bit, add the sprinkles and fold in to combine.
- Gently pat the Rice Krispies mixture down into the prepared pan with the spatula or with greased or slightly damp fingertips. (You don’t want to smash it down or you’ll get dense treats instead of light, fluffy ones.)
- Let the treats set, then slice into squares. Store covered or in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days or in the refrigerator 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sprinkle Rice Krispies Treats, Confetti Rice Krispies Treats, Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats, Gluten Free Rice Krispies treats, crisp rice treats
A fun a festive treat that will be sure to please. Love the added sprinkles and the touch of vanilla to take the classic treat up a notch!
Can’t wait to try other recipes on this site!
THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a review Nicole! It’s SO helpful. I’m so glad you enjoyed these treats as much as we do! 🙂