Here are 12 different ways to make deviled eggs. Below is my “classic” method. The rest are all variations! (Nutrition facts are based on the Classic recipe)
FOR CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS:
- 6 hard boiled or steamed eggs
- 2–3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1–2 tsp. dill pickle juice, lemon juice, or vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice each egg in half lengthwise and remove the yolks. Place all yolks in a medium-sized bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise, mustard, 1 tsp. pickle juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the egg yolks. Mash with a fork (or beat with a hand mixer) until completely smooth, adding additional mayo or pickle juice as needed to get the consistency creamy. (Alternatively, you can combine the yolk mixture ingredients in a zip-top bag and mash with your hands.)
- Scoop deviled yolk mixture back into the egg white halves using a spoon. Alternatively, you can scoop the mixture into a plastic sandwich bag and snip off the corner to create a “piping bag.”
- See notes for variations!
12 VARIATIONS TO TRY:
- DILL PICKLE: Use pickle juice as directed, and add 1-2 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickle, and a pinch of dried or fresh dill to your yolk mixture.
- PEPPERED BACON: Add 1 Tbsp fresh herbs (cilantro, dill, basil, or parsley) to your yolk mixture and swap 1/4 tsp steak seasoning for the pepper. Top with crisped, crumbled bacon, additional fresh herbs, and halved baby tomatoes.
- SMOKED PAPRIKA: Use lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1-2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (optional) and 1/4 tsp smoked paprika to the yolk mixture. Top with additional smoked paprika, as desired.
- LEMON CHIVE: Use lemon juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1-2 Tbsp fresh minced chives and an extra pinch of pepper to the yolk mixture. Top with a tiny bit of lemon zest, more pepper, and a pinch of fresh chives.
- CURRY: Use lemon or lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder to your yolk mixture. Top with minced cilantro or additional curry powder, as desired.
- SRIRACHA LIME: Use lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add a few drops of sriracha to the yolk mixture. Top with a tiny bit of lime zest and additional sriracha as desired.
- CHIPOTLE: Use lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Add 1-2 tsp. adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers (start small if you don’t want it hot). Alternatively, you can use 1/4- 1/2 tsp dried chipotle chili powder. Top with cilantro and additional chipotle powder/sauce as desired.
- AVOCADO: Omit the mustard. Use 2 tsp. lemon or lime juice in place of the pickle juice. Use 2-4 Tbsp fresh avocado in place of the mayo. Add fresh cilantro as desired. (You can also use prepared guacamole instead of avocado!)
- SALT & VINEGAR: Use vinegar in place of the pickle juice, and add an extra 1 tsp. to the mixture. Top with coarse sea salt (like Maldon salt).
- SALSA VERDE: Omit mustard and pickle juice. Add 1-2 Tbsp salsa verde to the yolk mixture along with the mayo and salt. Add fresh cilantro, if desired. Top with cilantro and more salsa, as desired.
- BUFFALO: Omit the mustard. Add 1-2 tsp. Frank’s Red Hot (or other favorite hot sauce) to the yolk mixture along with the mayo, pickle juice, and salt. Top with fresh chives or dill, as desired.
- EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING. Follow classic deviled egg directions + top with a sprinkle of Everything Bagel Seasoning right before serving.
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: deviled eggs, paleo deviled eggs, classic deviled eggs, bacon deviled eggs, pickle deviled eggs, avocado deviled eggs