Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn – This vegan peanut butter popcorn is topped with a chocolate drizzle. Crispy, crunchy, sweet, chocolatey–it’s everything in one!
I love popcorn all the time, but especially this time of year. We start hunkering down for family movie nights more and more, and we love making some kind of treat to celebrate. Sophie loves to help, and when she couldn’t decide whether Muddy Buddies or popcorn sounded best, I got the idea for combining them.
This Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn has all the chocolate peanut butter goodness of Muddy Buddies paired with the crunch of popcorn. It’s the best of both worlds, and it’s perfect whether you’re serving it for a movie night, party, or get together. Here’s what makes it amazing…
What Makes This Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn Amazing:
- A perfect pairing. First, well, it’s got chocolate AND peanut butter. So… yum.
- The texture is amazing. The gooey peanut butter caramel coating goes onto the popcorn. Then, it’s drizzled with melted chocolate. What you end up with is crispy, crunchy, sweet, salty, chocolatey goodness that’s basically all my favorite things at the same time.
- It’s easy. I love (like, LOVE!) caramel corn, but sometimes if you accidentally boil it too long, or not long enough, the texture doesn’t come out quite right. This is pretty basic stuff. No fussy tricks required!
- It makes a fun gift! Obviously, nut allergies are a BIG deal, so this wouldn’t work for everyone, but you can easily pack this up in a cute little bag and give it to a friend. It’s so yummy!
Other Mix-Ins & Ways to Adapt It:
I love playing with recipes, and this one’s easy to adapt! A few other yummy ways to take this recipe and run with it…
- Try adding 1/2 cup or so of salted peanuts, cashews, chocolate-covered almonds, or toasted pecans.
- Drizzle over a mix of white & dark chocolate. (You can find vegan white chocolate chips here)
- Skip the chocolate drizzle and add a sprinkle of coarse flaked sea salt on top.
- Add cinnamon to your peanut butter mixture. It’s a really nice extra layer of flavor!
Notes on this Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn:
- I Use & Recommend Natural Peanut Butter – I use natural creamy peanut butter (brand doesn’t matter) for this recipe. Crunchy also works. I classify “natural” peanut butter as a peanut butter without any added sugars, oils, or stabilizers. Ideally, the ingredient list should be just peanuts or peanuts and salt. If you’re using unsalted peanut butter, I recommend adding a tiny pinch of salt to the peanut butter mixture to help offset the sweetness and wake up the flavors.
- Dairy Free Chocolate – Dairy free chocolate is getting easier and easier to find. Enjoy Life is a fairly widely available brand, and even a new Toll House variety is allergen friendly. If you don’t have an allergy, you can also use Guittard semi-sweet or extra dark chocolate chips (which have no dairy ingredients, but are produced on shared equipment with dairy-containing products).
- How To Pop Your Popcorn – You can use a variety of methods here. I often use a chemical free microwave method using a plain paper bag + popcorn kernels (see the notes section of the recipe card for how to do this). You can also use about 1.5 store-bought bags of microwavable popcorn (look for no butter). I prefer this brand which uses no chemicals or additives on their bags + organic, non-GMO corn kernels. If microwaves aren’t your jam, you can use this method for stovetop preparation, or use an air popper.
- How To Store This: After letting it completely set (this can take a few hours), I transfer it to an airtight bag or container. We also move ours to the fridge to help it last longer, and it’ll keep up to 4-5 days in the fridge vs 2-3 on the counter. You do you!
- Other Nut or Seed Butters? I do think this would work with other nut butters or seed butter. There isn’t anything important texturally about peanut butter that would prohibit subbing in cashew butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter. Use what you can! (Again, I’d stick with “natural” versions, wherever possible.)
Craving More? Here Are Some Other Yummy Treats You Might Like:
- The BEST Vegan Chocolate Pudding
- Vegan Maple Caramel Corn
- Perfect Gluten Free Brownies
- Toasted Marshmallow Rice Krispies Treats