Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – This easy dinner recipe is a family favorite! A flavorful seasoning mix + a rainbow of veggies make this sheet pan dinner delicious! (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
Can we all agree that fewer dishes to wash is an amazing thing?
I love tossing sheet-pan dinners or one-pan dinners into our rotation for crazy nights. It’s just SO NICE to have simple, easy dinner recipes AND not to have too many dishes to wash! (THREE CHEERS FOR EASY CLEAN UP!)
It’s a huge bonus when that dinner tastes as amazing as these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
Thin strips of chicken are tossed with a smoky, savory spice blend and a rainbow of colorful fresh vegetables then tossed into the oven on a sheet pan for a simplified, hands-off healthy dinner. They’re not traditional, but they ARE crazy easy and delicious.
Did I mention the fewer dishes thing? Because… so great. Here’s what you need to make some seriously yummy sheet pan chicken fajitas…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY Easy SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS Recipe:
- CHICKEN. I use boneless, skinless chicken breast for these gluten-free chicken fajitas, but chicken thighs will also work. I cut it into thin slices (about 1/2″ wide). This helps the chicken cook evenly.
- A TRIO OF BELL PEPPERS. These sheet pan chicken fajitas are so pretty and colorful, thanks to a trio of bell peppers. You can use any 3 bell peppers you like, but I like mixing red, green, and yellow bell peppers for a colorful, delicious meal.
- ONION. Similarly, you can choose white or red onion for these sheet pan fajitas. The red onions are so pretty that they’re my go-to!
- CILANTRO. Some fresh cilantro keeps the flavor from getting too heavy. I love the brightness it adds! (If you’re not a cilantro fan, you can skip it)
- A SAVORY SPICE MIX. Here’s where things get fun! I love a blend of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika to make a quick homemade fajita seasoning. You could probably get by with a packet of taco seasoning or fajita seasoning if you prefer!
- LIME JUICE + OIL. Then, I finish things up with a combination of lime juice and oil. It keeps things bright and keeps the chicken fajitas from sticking to the pan. You can use olive oil or avocado oil for this recipe. Your choice!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS
If you want to fill this out a bit, here’s how I make my sheet pan chicken fajitas into a whole meal.
- WARM TORTILLAS. You can use corn tortillas or flour tortillas, based on your preference or dietary needs. We’re gluten-free, and I like Mission gluten-free tortillas. (See the FAQ for a paleo/non-tortilla option!)
- GUACAMOLE. I will never say no to a chance to eat guacamole. It’s really nice here next to the chicken and peppers mixture.
- PICO DE GALLO OR SALSA. I love to finish these with pico de gallo or salsa. So bright and fresh!
- BLACK BEANS OR REFRIED BEANS. Some seasoned black beans (or beans and Mexican restaurant rice!) on the side makes me feel like I’m at a restaurant instead of my kitchen!
- SOME FRESH FRUIT OR FRUIT SALAD. For a light, refreshing side dish, I love adding some fresh fruit (pineapple or watermelon are nice!) or fruit salad. This honey lime fruit salad is so light and cool. It’s a delicious complement to the heat and spices of the fajitas.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR PERFECT SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS:
PRO TIP: CUT EVERYTHING THE SAME THICKNESS. One big tip to help your sheet pan chicken fajitas cook evenly is to cut things the same thickness. I like 1/4″ thick strips of peppers and onions and 1/2″ thick strips of chicken. It’ll help things cook at the same rate.
WANT MORE CHAR? BROIL IT AT THE END! Since you won’t get a traditional char from the fajitas-style cooking in a pan on the stove, you can mimic this effect by putting the fajitas under the broiler for 1-2 minutes at the end of the cooking time. Watch the mixture carefully so it doesn’t burn!
PALEO? WATCHING CARBS? You can totally serve this fajita mixture in a paleo burrito bowl with some cilantro lime cauliflower rice, or wrapped in Siete grain-free tortillas. You can even turn it into a fajitas “taco salad” by putting the fajitas mixture on a big bed of lettuce, with some guacamole and pico de gallo.
WHAT DO YOU USUALLY SERVE WITH FAJITAS? My go-to toppings are classic guacamole, a squeeze of lime wedges, or maybe a bit of salsa, but you can also add less traditional toppings, like a dollop of sour cream or cheese if dairy isn’t an issue for you
LOVE THESE CHICKEN FAJITAS? YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE…
- Honey Lime Chicken Tacos
- Classic Guacamole
- Our Favorite Fresh Salsa
- The BEST Fish Tacos with Cilantro Slaw
- Sizzling Veggie Fajitas (made with Portobello Mushrooms!)
- Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas
HELPFUL INGREDIENTS + TOOLS FOR SHEET PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS:
Originally shared March 2020