This Chai Spiced Oatmeal is comforting, cozy, and so delicious.
It’s almost as good as eating an oatmeal cookie for breakfast. Almost.
Though our daytime temperatures have been beautiful, the mornings are still chilly and dark. I’ve been making riffs on Jamie Oliver’s Granola Dust (from this book) for weeks. The Hazelnut Cherry Oatmeal Hot Cereal has been a standard, but I organized the pantry last week and as I organized my spices, I couldn’t help swooning over the Chai Spice Blend. We love it so much for chai spice banana smoothies, but it has so many other tasty uses. And I knew this could be one of them.
Since I wanted the end result to taste somewhere between warm chai and an oatmeal cookie, I added raisins and pecans to the mix (in place of the dried cherries and hazelnuts). The end result has been amazing. It makes the house smell incredible and it makes enjoying a warm breakfast so easy. (Seriously. You can make this in the microwave in a minute).
You can top it with anything you like! Milo’s favorite is a little drizzle of pure maple syrup and a splash of almond milk, while Sophie prefers a handful of frozen berries stirred in. You can also add a tablespoon or two of the dry mix to a smoothie for a bit of a flavor and natural protein boost or stir a scoop into plain yogurt with a drizzle of honey for a museli effect.
Like this recipe? You might also like:
- Hazelnut Cherry Oatmeal Hot Cereal
- Chai Spiced Banana Smoothie
- Chai Spiced Granola – Gimme Some Oven
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal (I use gluten free oats)
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2-3 tsp chai spice mixture (see below)
For chai spice mixture:
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Place the oats, nuts, and seeds on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until just toasted. Let cool completely.
- While the oats and nuts are toasting, make the chai spice blend. In a small jar or bowl, stir together spices (or shake to combine).
- When the oats are cool and the spice blend is assembled, place oat & nut mixture, raisins, and chai spice mixture into a food processor or blender. Pulse until fairly fine. (I like mine to have a little bit of texture, but you can pulse until smooth and floury.)
- Store in an airtight container up to 1 month.
- !To prepare a serving in the microwave:
- Scoop 1/4 cup hot cereal mixture in a bowl with 1/3-1/2 cup water. Microwave 1 minute. Stir in almond milk (or milk of choice), and any desired toppings.
- !To prepare a family-size portion on the stovetop:
- Scoop 1/4 cup hot cereal mixture and 1/2 cup water per person into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir regularly, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the cereal is cooked through to your desired consistency. Stir in milk and desired toppings.