Chai Spiced Banana Smoothie
Chai Spiced Banana Smoothies – This chai banana smoothie is such a yummy change of pace! The chai spice blend is fantastic–you’ll want to put it on everything! (Vegan, Paleo)
Originally Posted March 2014. Post and photos updated Aug 2021
Do you ever see a recipe in a book or online that you just can’t stop thinking about? I was that way a few years ago with chai spice mixes. I couldn’t stop thinking about ways to use it…oatmeal, granola, smoothies…yum!
We’ve been making this chai banana smoothie for over 7 years now, and it never disappoints! It’s a yummy flavor and never disappoints.
These chai spice banana smoothies are substantial, filling, and just different enough to break up the greens-n-fruit smoothie routine. I’m always and forever on the hunt for healthy proteins and fats for us to eat. These have almond butter, which also lends a velvety texture, and flax or chia seeds, which lend protein, fiber, and healthy fat. The leftovers (if you have any) also make fabulous popsicles.
I like my smoothies on the thicker side, but if you want yours thinner, you can easily add a bit more almond milk. But fair warning: after trying a chai banana smoothie, you’ll want to toss this spice blend into everything!
Here’s What Goes Into Our Chai Spice Banana Smoothie:
- Chai Spice. I’m using our Homemade Chai Spice Mix for this smoothie. It’s a gorgeous blend of warm spices that works well in everything from this smoothie, to cakes and muffins, to drinks and desserts. SO GOOD. So easy.
- Frozen Bananas. I will forever use this foolproof method for freezing bananas. It makes them freeze quickly, store well, and blend more easily when you’re ready to use them.
- Almond Milk (Or Your Favorite). We almost always use unsweetened almond milk for this chai banana smoothie, but you can absolutely use whatever your family loves and drinks.
- Almond Butter or Peanut Butter. My very favorite way to make this banana smoothie is with peanut butter, but almond butter is also gorgeous with chai spice. You could also sub cashew butter or leave it out if you don’t tolerate nuts.
- Ground Flax, Chia, Collagen, or Hemp. For some protein and healthy fats, I love using a bit of this vegan protein powder (made from ground hemp, chia, and flax), or you can use unflavored collagen protein (my other favorite!) for a dairy-free paleo option.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST BANANA CHAI SMOOTHIE:
THE BEST WAY TO FREEZE BANANAS FOR SMOOTHIES. Any time I have ripe bananas, I use this method to freeze them for smoothies. It works like a charm and makes blending so much easier later!
WANT TO ADD GREENS? You can easily add 1 cup of spinach, though the color is admittedly a bit funky. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, I always recommend blending your greens + liquid first before adding any of the other ingredients. It helps get the smoothest texture! If you’ve got a high-speed blender (I swear by this one), greens should be the very last ingredient you add.
GET YOUR TEXTURE JUST RIGHT. We’re mega fans of banana “nice” cream, so keep thing these smoothies thick feels almost as luxurious as soft-serve ice cream when we serve it for snack. If I’m sipping this in the morning, I usually make it a bit thinner by adding more almond milk to the blender. It’s totally your preference! You can even add some ice for a frosty texture.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER CHAI SPICE. Our chai spice blend makes PLENTY (much more than you need for a single smoothie), so I recommend keeping it in an airtight jar or container. It’ll keep for several months without losing its potency. If you’re not sure you’ll use it all, you can absolutely halve or quarter the recipe for the spice blend.
More Smoothie Recipes To Love:
- Pineapple Acai Bowls
- Chocolate Banana Smoothies
- Blueberry Peach Smoothie
- Mango Dragonfruit Refresher – The color in this smoothie is amazing!
- Strawberry Orange Sunrise Smoothie
- Pineapple Coconut Lime Smoothie
Chai Spiced Banana Smoothie
- Total Time: About 8 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This Banana Chai Smoothie is so delicious! With it’s thick, creamy texture and warm spices, it’s one of our favorites all year long! (Paleo, Vegan)
For The Chai Spice:
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. cardamom
- 1/2 Tbsp. ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp. cloves
- 1/2 Tbsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
For Chai Spice Banana Smoothie:
- 1 tsp chai spice mixture (above)
- 2 frozen bananas, sliced*
- 1– 1 1/2 cup milk (I like unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 Tbsp almond butter or nut butter
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed or chia seeds (optional)
For the chai spice mixture:
- Combine all spices together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
For The Chai Spice Banana Smoothie:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, adding more almond milk as necessary. Drink immediately, or freeze in popsicle molds.
- Feel free to top with chopped nuts, cacao nibs, or any other goodies your heart desires.
If your bananas just aren’t that ripe, you may need to add just a small drizzle of pure maple syrup to the mixture. I’ve made this over and over and only needed it once.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chai spice banana smoothie, chai banana smoothie,
On the chai spice mix, a second use for it:
Add a half tsp to your coffee grounds in a drip maker basket (but don’t do a full pot, just to the 8 cup line) and you have chai spice coffee for those cold mornings. 🙂
Mike – Thanks for the tip! I’m sure the coffee lovers will be excited!
YUM!! Great recipe…I will be making this a lot! I used Teddy natural peanut butter. I also used the optional chia seeds. The chai mixture is one of the best and couldn’t be easier. I will never buy chai again! Thank you!
Oh yay! I’m so happy to hear that. Thank you for sharing!!!
Hi Emily, what a great recipe! I love chai but was a little hesitant about banana being mixed in. It was delicious. I added frozen kale & couldn’t even taste it. Even my hubby who won’t usually drink chai tea with me enjoyed it. I’m new to your blog & look forward to trying more recipes. Thank you for sharing!
Thank YOU for such a kind comment! You made my day!
Hi Emily, I wanted to add an update to my earlier comment. I happened to freeze the remainder of my smoothie and gave it to my 18 month old daughter who loved it! She’s picky & won’t eat any other flavor. She even waits in front of the freezer each morning saying “moothie moothie!” Just wanted to share this for any of your readers with children. Definitely the best chai spice i’ve tried.
I LOVE hearing that! It was my son’s favorite smoothie for a few years when he was that age!
Tried and tested on my Yoga mumas in my mother and baby yoga class. They loved this healthy autumnal treat xxx Thank you for sharing xxx
Oh yay! I’m so glad you all enjoyed it. It’s a favorite around here!
This looks so delicious. I’ll try it tomorrow
I hope you love it!
Oh my GAWD!!!!!!!!!! I am on my second week of my first whole 30 and was craving a chai latte like you would not believe!!!! This was even better. I’m glad I found it the second week because I think if I had tried it last week I still would have been so sugar dead it wouldn’t have been tasty. Tonight though, it was the most decadent thing ever. I’m so happy!!
YAAAAAAS! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
Just made this and it was so yummy!!! Highly recommended. Thanks
Oh yay! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!
This smoothie recipe is one of the best I’ve ever made and tasted… Also made it for my 2 year old daughter and partner and they wanted me to make it again for them after dinner for dessert. I give this recipe 5 stars, it’s so delicious (I couldn’t fault anything!) Love it. Thank you for sharing 😍
Amber I’m SO glad you liked it! It’s one of my very favorites 🙂
Holy yum this was delicious!!
I’m so glad! It was Milo’s favorite for YEARS. I love it every time we make it! 🙂