Fresh Corn Salad with Avocado and Tomato – Use it as salad or use it as a corn salsa, this fresh corn salad is a summer staple. With bright colors and flavors, it’s the perfect addition to burrito bowls, summer BBQs, meal prep, and more! (Gluten Free & Vegan)
Raise your hand if summer is your favorite time of year for fruits and veggies? My hand is totally raised! You too?
There’s just nothing like summer produce in my book–peaches, tomatoes, zucchini, cherries, berries, corn, and so much more. It’s all SO GOOD.
Today, I’ve got an incredible fresh corn salad with avocado and tomato to share. It’s bright, it’s fresh, and it’s all pulled together with a chili-lime dressing that takes it over the top. It’s also one of the most versatile summer dishes I’ve had this year. Don’t believe me? Let’s jump in, and I’ll show you…
How to Use This Fresh Corn Salad:
1. Build Burrito Bowls!
This can easily act as a component of burrito bowls! When used this way, it reminds me of the corn salsa at Chipotle. I like to pair it with…
- Cilantro lime rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa
- Some black beans
- Your favorite proteins (like these Beef Carnitas or some grilled chicken)
- Fresh Salsa
- Guacamole or this Citrus Avocado Sauce
2. Meal Prep It
This salad holds up well for several days, even with the avocado, which makes it a slam-dunk for meal prep. The lime juice helps keep the avocado green. (If you’re nervous, skip the avocado until the day-of.)
Simply, pack the corn salad in these 2-component or 3-component meal prep containers. You can pair it as a side to your favorite proteins (black beans, chicken, beef, pork, etc.), or stir it into some quinoa for a main dish.
3. Serve it as a Side Salad
And, of course, this makes a terrific side dish. It’s perfect at summer barbecues, picnics, and cook-outs. It’s fresh, it’s light, and it works for many different diets (it’s gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan, vegetarian, etc.).
4. Use it as a Dip!
Use this fresh corn salad as corn salsa! It’s terrific with chips (what isn’t!?) and also makes a great topping for grilled chicken or fish.
Tips for the Perfect Fresh Corn Salad:
1. Ch-ch-ch-change it up!
You know I can’t resist playing with recipes. This one is delicious as written, but is also easy to adapt. For instance…
- Add a little kick! Try adding a little jalapeño, green chiles, or a tiny sprinkle of chipotle chili powder for some kick.
- Fill it out. Mix in some black beans or diced bell peppers to fill it out even more.
- Fire up the grill. Try grilling your corn–it adds great flavor!
- Switch out your onions. Try caramelized your onions or swapping in green onions in place of fresh red onion.
- Add a street corn vibe. Sprinkle a little cotija cheese on top (it’ll have a bit of a street corn vibe!)
- Take it another direction. Why not swap the cilantro for some fresh basil? It’s delicious!
- Use a flavored olive oil–I love using flavored olive oils, like Mexican Lime olive oil or a few drops of jalapeño olive oil. (The jalapeño is hot! Start small!)
2. Store it
This will easily keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. The lime juice helps keep the avocado green, but if you’re nervous, you can absolutely wait to add the avocado just before serving. I store mine in an airtight container in the fridge for best results.
3. Use Up the Leftovers
If you have leftover fresh corn salad, you can use them to top burrito bowls, pack in meal prep containers, stir them into quinoa or rice, dip your chips into it, or scoop it over grilled chicken or fish. It’ll be gone before you know it!
Love this Fresh Corn Salsa? You’d Probably Also Love…
- Our Favorite Fresh Salsa (made in a blender or food processor–no chopping required!)
- Our Ultimate Guide to Guacamole
- Pico de Gallo Quinoa Bowls (try mixing the corn salsa/corn salad in with this–it’s amazing!)
- Honey Lime Tilapia – Spoon your corn salad over this like salsa. It’s awesome!