Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice – Restaurant style cilantro lime rice is easier than ever thanks to the pressure cooker! This method will give you fluffy, flavorful rice perfect as a side dish, tucked into burrito bowls, burritos, and more! (Vegan-friendly, gluten-free)
I know we’re having a moment with pumpkin recipes, but this yummy rice is too good not to share!
Plus, pumpkin season comes and goes, but Tex-Mex season lasts FOREVER. At least at my house–ha!
This isn’t just any rice. It’s Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice. As in, perfectly fluffy, gorgeously seasoned and flavorful cilantro lime rice that’s so good you’ll keep going back for another bite and another bite.
It’s amazing on its own as a simple side dish, but also makes epic bowls, burritos and more. Plus, it couldn’t be easier to make!
Here’s all you need to get started…
Here’s What You’ll Need To Make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice:
- Basmati Rice. Simple long-grain white basmati rice! It absorbs flavor well and handles pressure cooking like a champ!
- Butter, Vegan Butter, or Olive Oil. To give the rice its signature texture and flavor.
- Salt. Don’t forget it! Salt can make or break a batch of cilantro lime rice.
- Chicken Broth, Veggie Broth, or Water. I recommend chicken broth or a veggie broth (like Imagine’s No-Chicken broth–my fave!) for the best flavor, but you can also cook this with water, for sure. It’s up to you!
- Cilantro. To take it from regular rice to cilantro lime rice, you’ll need plenty of fresh cilantro. I love it so much!
- Lime Zest & Lime Juice. For brightness, you’ll use both the lime zest (which has the lime oils!) and lime juice for acidity. It’s lovely here. I have a moderate amount of both in this recipe, but if you like it super lime-y, you can go all the way!
How To Make Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, Step-By-Step:
- Add rice, butter/oil, salt, and broth to your Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid & double check that the pressure valve is set to SEALING (*not VENTING*).
- Select Manual Pressure (high pressure) and set the timer for 6 minutes.
- Cook the rice at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- After the 6 minute cook time, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the remaining steam.
- Add cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice to the rice and fluff with a fork to combine.
- Serve warm with your Tex-Mex favorites!
Our Favorite Ways To Eat This Yummy Cilantro Lime Rice:
Now that you’ve got fluffy, steaming hot Cilantro Lime Rice, you can use it all sorts of ways! Here are our 3 favorites…
- BUILD BURRITO BOWLS! Pile proteins, veggies, beans, guacamole, and salsa on top of a bed of Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice to build an epic burrito bowl. (Look at these Chipotle Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls, Honey Lime Shrimp Bowls, or Vegan Plantain Burrito Bowls for inspiration!)
- WRAP INTO BURRITOS. Or, wrap those goodies into a tortilla for burritos. Try our Honey Lime Grilled Chicken, Beef Barbacoa, Sweet & Spicy Pork, or Beef Carnitas (or leave it veggie!)
- SERVE WITH BEANS AS A SIDE DISH. Beans and rice is such a great side dish combo! Try our Cilantro Lime Rice next to our Black Beans or Charro Beans (Seasoned Pinto Beans)
FAQ + Tips and Tricks For the Best Cilantro Lime Rice:
DOES THIS WORK WITH BROWN RICE, TOO? No. Brown rice requires a different cook time and amount of liquid. If you want to make brown rice, you’ll want to use this Instant Pot brown rice tutorial instead.
CAN YOU FREEZE CILANTRO LIME RICE? Yes! Cooking the cilantro lime rice in an Instant Pot gives it a perfect just-done texture that makes it great for freezing. It *will* soften slightly upon thawing and reheating, but it can be such a great time saver!
MY RICE ISN’T AS SOFT AS I WANT. WHAT DO I DO? If you open the Instant Pot and your rice isn’t quite as tender as you’d like, add 1 Tbsp. of water and re-secure the lid for 2-3 minutes. This will help it steam a bit longer and soften more.
DO YOU NEED TO RINSE THE RICE BEFORE MAKING THIS RECIPE? When I make rice on the stovetop, I always rinse it in a fine mesh sieve, but for Instant Pot rice, I don’t rinse it, since the extra water from rinsing can throw off the liquid-to-rice ratio a bit. If you prefer rinsing, feel free, just know your rice may be slightly more wet than mine.
HOW LONG DOES CILANTRO LIME RICE STAY FRESH? Like most cooked rice, you really don’t want to leave it too long before eating it, so Instant Pot cilantro lime rice is best used within 2-3 days. The USDA says you can go up to 3-4, but I’ve found this works best within 2-3 days.