Pineapple Relish + Sweet Potatoes
When Michael and I first moved to this area, we’d heard lots of good things about a few restaurants that we were excited to try. One place we tried not only had a burger that nearly made Michael tear up it was so good, but they had THE BEST sweet potato fries I’ve ever eaten. They were served with a pineapple relish that was a really interesting sweet-salty-spicy combination. I couldn’t stop thinking about it!
I’ve had that gorgeous pineapple relish on my mind, so I decided to put together a version of my own. I think I’ve come pretty darn close! The sweetness from the pineapple with a little heat and depth from the peppers, and a little sweet-and-sour effect from the honey and cider vinegar, what you’re left with is a really gorgeous pineapple relish that’s great with sweet potatoes, but also on grilled curried chicken, chicken and apple sausage, or even a great fish dish (like Honey Lime Tilapia or Crispy Halibut).
When time is extra pinched, these Sweet Potato Fries with Sea Salt by Alexia are one of our favorite quick fixes. They don’t have many ingredients, they pair well with SO many great sauces, and are delicious to boot. We love sweet potatoes, and Milo and Sophie are much more likely to eat sweet potatoes with something awesome to dip them in.
Chicken and apple sausage + Alexia Sweet Potato French Fries with Sea Salt + green beans + fruit = our kind of quick, easy dinner.
We can get it on the table in less than 30 minutes and there’s something for everyone.
For more great ideas, be sure to check out Alexia’s recipe blog, and newsletter. They regularly send out new inspiration for changing up your weeknight meals.Print
- Yield: about 1 1/2 cups 1x
For a bit of kick, try adding a few teaspoons of minced jalapeño in with the pineapple mixture as it boils. Or, to change things up, stir in a clove of garlic with the ginger. Delish!
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, diced or puled a few times in a food processor
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
- salt, to taste
- (optional: 1 clove garlic, minced or a little minced jalapeño)
- Place pineapple, bell pepper, honey, vinegar, and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, to reduce slightly.
- In a small bowl, stir together arrowroot powder and water. Pour mixture into the saucepan and stir until just thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro. Taste and add salt as desired.
- Serve with chicken, fish, shrimp, sausages, or sweet potatoes!
Alexia Foods offers frozen potatoes, appetizers, breads and side dishes with minimal, but distinctive, real ingredients that serve-up exceptional taste. Alexia frozen sides are a delicious addition to a balanced meal with that little something extra and can be ready in 25 minutes—or less. Sign up for Alexia’s Club 350 newsletter for more great meal inspiration!
Alexia. Farm to Flavor.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Alexia . The opinions and text are all mine.