Sausage and Vegetable Soup – Tastes like home without being too heavy. Gluten free, Paleo, and Whole30 Friendly.
Yes, I’m back with more soup. Soup-y soup soup. Please don’t be mad. It’s just… it’s February…and soup is easy…and, well… I’ve also been experimenting with cookie recipes lately, and needed something light. Sausage and vegetable soup seemed like just the flavorful, delicious ticket.
Let’s talk about the kalephant in the room. See what I did there? Because kale. It’s in this soup. Do you love it? Try to put it in everything? Aren’t a fan? Think it’s all hype? Meh. Whatever team you side with at camp kale, consider trying it in this soup. Kale holds up remarkably well. Since it can be a bit bitter at times when raw, kale often pairs well with some stronger, more assertive flavors. Here, I use a little bit of sausage to flavor the whole soup. As the soup simmers, the flavors blend and meld together and the end result is delicious. If you aren’t sure about it, feel free to start at the low end (1/2 bunch) and work your way up over time. REALLY not sure you can handle the kale? Skip it or swap it for baby spinach. You can always try using the leftover kale by sautéing it in olive oil with a bit of garlic and lemon, or blending 1/2-1c of the leaves (stems removed) into this recipe for homemade fudgecicles. Lastly, feel free to use any sausage and vegetables you like here. I’ve made it with Italian sausage and with some great chicken andouille from Trader Joe’s. Use your favorite. A little goes a long way, keeping the soup light and flavorful. Have some other veggies in your fridge that need using? Go for it. You’ve got this. Happy Tuesday and happy eating!
- 6-8oz sausage (Italian sausage, sliced andouille, whatever you like)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 zucchinis, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- ½-1 bunch kale (tough ribs removed and sliced or torn into small ribbons)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers, carrots, celery, and zucchini and cook 3-5 minutes, or until crisp tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and reduce heat to low. Add kale and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until ready to serve.