Sheet Pan Sausage, Gnocchi & Veggies (With Video)
Sheet Pan Sausage, Gnocchi and Veggies – This sheet pan sausage and gnocchi recipe has plenty of veggies and an amazing spice blend you’ll love. (Gluten free, dairy free, paleo friendly!)
Simplicity has been the name of the game at my house lately. I say this all the time, but it’s absolutely true. With our back-to-school routine well underway, plus a couple extra-curricular things going on, we’re all feeling the pull for simplicity. Simple routines (pack school lunches the night before), simple mornings (easy breakfast options), and simple evenings to unwind.
Lately, that’s meant lots of simple, easy dinners, like this Sheet Pan Sausage, Gnocchi and Veggies. It’s more a method than a meal (there are SO MANY ways to flavor it!), but the combination is so easy and flexible, we’ve had it every other week for the last little while.
While it’s simple enough to toss together on a busy weeknight, this sheet pan dinner also the kind of meal you could make on a rainy day with music on, or pile up on the couch with a blanket and a plate (or, better–bowl!) tucked up on your knees while you watch a good movie.
Here’s how I make it + lots of ideas to change things up.
WHAT’S IN SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, GNOCCHI & VEGGIES?
KIELBASA OR CHICKEN SAUSAGE. You can really choose almost any pre-cooked (slice-able) sausage for this recipe. Pork or turkey kielbasa, chicken sausage, or any other flavor you fancy. I love the Aidell’s Mango Chicken & Jalapeño sausage for some kick, or a nice uncured kielbasa.
THE FAMOUS TRADER JOE’S CAULIFLOWER GNOCCHI. You can use other varieties (see the FAQ below for ideas), but this one’s pretty popular for a reason. It’s gluten free, nice and fluffy, and cooks well. It *does* have some cauliflower taste, but I find that we don’t notice it when it’s parked with lots of veggies and this sausage. Sophie (who wouldn’t eat cauliflower any day of the week) eats this without a problem. We’re still working on Milo.
A COLORFUL BLEND OF VEGGIES. Bright, vibrant color is the name of the game here! I always try to shoot for as many colors as I can fit in with this recipe. (See the FAQ below for more veggie ideas!) For this recipe, I usually add:
- WHITE MUSHROOMS. So lovely with the sausage and gnocchi. I can’t get enough.
- ORANGE BELL PEPPER. Any color will do, but I love what an orange pepper adds to the color here!
- RED TOMATOES. Grape or cherry tomatoes add sweetness and get lovely caramelization during roasting.
- GREEN ZUCCHINI. Easy to fit in, and very neutral in flavor. Absorbs the flavors of the other veggies & spices.
- PURPLE ONION. Again, you can use other colors, but the purple is so pretty, I can’t help but include it!
A SAVORY SPICE BLEND. The sausage + veggies have lots of flavor on their own, but a tasty spice blend ties everything together. Mine includes chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, a bit of smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
GOOD QUALITY OLIVE OIL. For the best texture and flavor, I toss everything in a little bit of good quality olive oil before roasting. It helps the spices stick to the veggies and keeps the veggies from sticking to the pan! My favorite is this one from Queen Creek Olive Mill. (Use code”onelovelylife” for 10% off your first order!)
OTHER FLAVOR COMBINATIONS TO TRY:
ITALIAN/MEDITERRANEAN STYLE – Combine Italian or Mediterranean style chicken sausage with 1/4 tsp. onion powder + 1/4 tsp. garlic powder + 1/4 tsp. oregano + 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika. Use basil or parsley for your fresh herb.
BRIGHT AND PUNCHY. Use your favorite sausage with 1-1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning and fresh dill or parsley for your fresh herb.
CAJUN STYLE – Use chicken andouille sausage + 1/4 tsp. onion powder + 1/4 tsp. garlic powder + 1/2-1 tsp. Cajun seasoning. Use basil, parsley, or cilantro for your fresh herb.
SWEET & SMOKY – Use chicken & apple sausage + 1/4 tsp. onion powder + 1/4 tsp. garlic powder + 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika.
TEX-MEX – Use a spicy sausage (like Mango + Jalapeño chicken sausage) + 1/4 tsp. garlic powder + 1/4 tsp. onion powder + 1/2 tsp. chili powder + 1/8-1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder (it has some kick!).
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, GNOCCHI & VEGGIES.
This can be a stand alone meal (it’s got protein + veggies + carbs + fat), but you can also add a few tasty sides to fill things out. Some of our favorites are
- A NICE SIDE SALAD. Some fresh greens + veggies are a nice contrast to the softer roasted veggies.
- SPICED PEAR SAUCE. My kids LOVE THIS spiced pear sauce. We make a batch a week all fall & winter long. It’s cool and refreshing next to a nice, hot meal.
- PUMPKIN CORNBREAD MUFFINS. We eat these pumpkin cornbread muffins year round. I love the tiny hint of spice.
- MAPLE CORNBREAD. This maple cornbread adds a little touch of sweetness and a lovely, fluffy texture. Perfect here!
FAQ + TIPS FOR PERFECT SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, GNOCCHI & VEGGIES.
DON’T OVERCROWD. In a sheet pan dinner like this, it’s easy to over crowd things when you add a little more of this or that. The more crowded your sheet pan, the more the veggies will *steam* rather than roast. It’ll also take longer for those nice caramelized edges to develop. That’s why we divide the mixture between 2 sheet pans. I do this almost every time and really like the results.
WHAT KIND AND SIZE SHEET PAN DO YOU USE?
I DON’T LIVE BY TRADER JOE’S. CAN I USE ANOTHER KIND OF GNOCCHI? Yes! Ideally, you’ll use frozen gnocchi, but I’ve heard good things about shelf-stable gnocchi, too. Feel free to use homemade gnocchi too! This sweet potato gnocchi, this homemade paleo cauliflower gnocchi, and potato gnocchi all look great.
OTHER YUMMY VEGGIES. Not all veggies have the same roasting times (i.e. a cube of potato won’t cook as fast as a piece of zucchini). In this recipe, I’ve tried to cook veggies with similar roasting times. Others that might be tasty include: CAULIFLOWER, YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH, BROCCOLI.
LOVE A GOOD ONE-PAN MEAL? YOU’D PROBABLY LOVE:
- Egg Roll in a Bowl (Egg Roll Bowls)
- Taco Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Sheet Pan Pesto Salmon & Veggies
- Sheet Pan Sausage & Veggies
HELPFUL FOR THIS RECIPE:
Sheet Pan Sausage, Gnocchi & Veggies
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Sheet Pan Sausage, Gnocchi and Veggies – This sheet pan dinner has plenty of veggies and an amazing spice blend you’ll love. (Gluten free, dairy free, paleo friendly!)
- 12 oz. sausage, sliced (kielbasa, or chicken sausage are my faves!)
- 1 (10-12oz.) package frozen gnocchi* (no need to thaw)
- 1 red onion, cut into 1” dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1” dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1” dice
- 4–6 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2–4 Tbsp. minced fresh herbs (like cilantro, basil, parsley, or dill)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Set out 2 sheet pans.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced sausage, frozen gnocchi, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder, chili powder, and smoked paprika.
- Drizzle with olive oil and stir to coat well.
- Spread mixture out on 2 baking sheets (this will allow for better air flow and more browning)
- Roast at 425 degrees F. for 12 minutes. Rotate baking sheets and stir mixture.
- Bake another 12-15 minutes, or until veggies are tender and turning golden.
- If desired, you can broil each pan for an additional 1-2 minutes for more browning.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve warm!
*We use Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi (gluten free!) for this dish. Feel free to swap in any frozen or homemade gnocchi you like!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dish, Sheet Pan Dinner
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sheet pan dinner, sausage and veggies, sausage veggies and gnocchi, sausage gnocchi and veggies, sheet pan sausage gnocchi, sheet pan gnocchi, gluten free sheet pan dinner, healthy sheet pan dinner