Summer Salad with Balsamic Lime Dressing – This simple dressing is going to knock your socks off. Serve this as a spotlight-stealing side, or add a little grilled chicken to make it a heartier main dish. You can’t go wrong.
When my sister was here helping us with our move, it was hot, sweaty work. We were exhausted from chasing babies around, moving furniture, and unpacking boxes. It was also well over 100 degrees outside, so we were feeling something light, fresh, and easy. That didn’t involve any heat whatsoever. Or heavy lifting.
I’ve made this salad several times since our first attempt, and each time it’s unbelievably fresh and delicious. I LOVE the combination of strawberries, mango, and avocado! The dressing is flavorful without being overpowering. I think it’s a perfect complement to the fruit, avocado, and greens. Finished with a good, salty crunch from the nuts… oh, Dolly. You could certainly swap out the fruit to your liking. Not a mango fan? All berries are delicious (strawberry, blueberry, and blackberry are nice). Or, skip the berries and stick with just the avocado and mango. The salad ingredients are flexible. What I love most is how the simple dressing ties it all together.
I’ve served this as a side to our mini meatloves and to simple pan-cooked fish (white fish + salt + pepper + olive oil), as a big main dish for two, and with cooked chicken added. There’s no wrong way to eat it! When my mom ate it, she suggested the balsamic-lime dressing would be tasty over salmon. I’ve been dying to try it ever since…
I can tell I’m rambling, so in conclusion: leave the oven off, kick off your shoes, and prepare yourself for no-oven heaven.
Do use aged balsamic if you can find it. It’s pricier, but a little goes a long way, and it’s a bit more syrupy and sweeter. Feel free to skip the honey if you’re on Whole30 or are avoiding added sweeteners
For the salad:
- Spring mix, or your favorite salad greens
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1– 1 1/2c strawberries, diced
- 3–4 Tbsp salted cashews or macadamia nuts (more or less, to taste)
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (1–2 limes’ worth)
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar (use aged if you can find it, it’s sweeter)
- 1–2 tsp honey (you may need 2 tsp depending on the sweetness of your vinegar)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- First, prepare the dressing, by whisking together lime juice, balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp honey, olive oil, salt and pepper. Taste and add additional honey if desired.
- Toss dressing with salad greens, diced mango, avocado, and strawberries. Top with nuts and serve immediately.
1. Try adding blueberries to the mango, avocado, and strawberries
2. Try an all-berry version with blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries
3. Make it a meaty meal by adding grilled chicken to the salad.