Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce – Quick & easy chicken lettuce wraps drizzled with the most amazing peanut sauce. This fast, fresh dinner is always a winner! (Gluten-Free)
We tied a record for the earliest “first time hitting 112 degrees” a couple of weeks ago. What makes me laugh about that is it’s not unusual to heat 112 degrees here in the summer. So it’s not like, “WOW! Can you believe that temperature?” it’s more like, “Whelp, can you believe we hit it this EARLY!?”
We’re facing down weeks and weeks (let’s be honest, it’s months) of 100+ degree temperatures around here, so I’m naturally craving all the quick, easy dinners that don’t take much cooking and won’t heat up the house even more.
One of my favorites is lettuce wraps, and lately, it’s been these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce. They’ve got EVERYTHING–quick, easy protein that’s packed with flavor, a rainbow of fresh, crunchy veggies, a creamy peanut sauce you’ll dream about, and a few fun finishes that make them feel extra special.
So, basically, these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a perfect summer dinner. Here’s what you need to make them…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY THAI CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS:
- SIMPLE, SEASONED CHICKEN. I use ground chicken in my Thai chicken lettuce wraps because it cooks so quickly, but you can see the FAQ for how to make Thai chicken lettuce wraps with shredded chicken or diced chicken instead! To give it plenty of flavor, I add a mixture of garlic & ginger, yellow curry powder, tamari, green onions, and cilantro. It’s bright and flavorful without a lot of fuss.
- A RAINBOW OF FRESH VEGGIES. Any time I’m having peanut sauce, I love to have a mix of fresh, crunchy veggies to go with it. So, I spoon the chicken mixture into butter lettuce leaves along with thinly sliced or diced red bell peppers, orange carrots, and green cucumbers. The combination is CRAZY good, especially when it’s paired with…
- MY CREAMY PEANUT SAUCE. I could eat this peanut sauce on almost anything. It’s the perfect blend of flavors–it’s got umami, salty, sweet, and savory going on and makes the chicken and veggies taste even more incredible. I like plenty of peanut sauce!
- TASTY EXTRAS, FOR SERVING. Once you’ve loaded your lettuce leaves with chicken, veggies, and peanut sauce, you can top it off with some fresh cilantro or mint and crushed peanuts. The end result is a fresh flavor explosion you’ll CRAVE again and again.
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST THAI CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS:
HOW TO CUT VEGGIES FOR LETTUCE WRAPS. You have two main choices for cutting veggies–thinly sliced (known as a julienne cut) or diced. I’ve found that thinly sliced veggies stay in my wrap better than diced, which can have a tendency to fall out. That said, diced can be easier for little ones to eat, it’s up to you!
In case you’re new to julienne cut, here’s a simple visual tutorial that will walk you through the process. It’s actually pretty easy even though it looks fancy!
I’M ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS. CAN I USE ANOTHER NUT BUTTER? If you need or want to avoid peanuts, I recommend using cashew butter in your peanut sauce instead. (Some folks use almond butter, but I’ve found the almond flavor is a bit more pronounced in the sauce than I prefer.)
CAN I MAKE THESE WITH DICED CHICKEN INSTEAD? Absolutely. If you want to go the diced chicken route, I actually recommend you use my Chicken Satay recipe to flavor the chicken. Then, you can pan-cook or grill the chicken before adding it to the lettuce wraps.
CAN I USE SHREDDED CHICKEN INSTEAD? You bet. Sometimes, for a shortcut, I make these using leftover shredded, cooked chicken. Instead of adding the curry powder + other seasonings, I usually mix the chicken up with a little Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, then I use the same veggies + add the peanut sauce on top.
MAKE AHEAD TIPS. You can do most of the assembly and prep for my Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps ahead of time to speed things along at dinner. Peanut sauce can be mixed up early (it’ll keep for a week in the fridge), veggies can be cut or diced ahead of time, and your lettuce leaves can be washed and prepped in advance, too. Then, all you need to do is cook the chicken & build your lettuce wraps!
LOVE THESE FLAVORS? YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
- Thai Chopped Salad with Peanut Drizzle
- Grilled Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Spring Roll Quinoa Salad
- Thai Cucumber Salad
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Paleo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
HELPFUL FOR MAKING THESE LETTUCE WRAPS WITH PEANUT SAUCE: