Thai Cucumber Salad – This fresh, light cucumber salad is the perfect cool complement to warm weather or a spicy meal. You’ll love the dressing! (Gluten free, vegan)
For the salad:
- 4 cups sliced cucumbers (about 2 English/seedless cucumbers or 5–6 Persian cucumbers)
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2– 3 Tbsp minced cilantro (or, you can substitute 1 Tbsp mint + 1 Tbsp basil)
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- Red chile flakes, to taste
Prep Your Salad:
- If desired (to prevent watering down your salad), sprinkle cucumbers with 1/4 tsp salt and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Drain any excess liquid, then proceed with remaining ingredients. If you’ll be serving this immediately, you can skip this step.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced cucumber, green onion, and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over and stir to combine.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
For the Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over cucumber salad. (Dressing can be mixed up 1-2 days ahead of time)
This salad will keep 4-5 days in the fridge, and the cucumbers will start to quick pickle, meaning they’ll absorb the briny dressing and soften. If you plan to make this last longer, you will want to follow the salting step in the directions, as this will help prevent your dressing from being watered down as the salad sits.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dish, Appetizer, Salad
- Method: No Cook, Quick Pickling
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai cucumber salad, cucumber salad, gluten free salad, side salad, side dish, cucumbers, asian cucumber salad, sesame cucumber salad