Apple Nachos – An easy, fun snack! (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
Apple Nachos – Apple slices topped with all kinds of goodies! This fun snack is a hit with kids + grown-ups. (Gluten-Free + Vegan + Paleo-Friendly)
I’ve said this before, but sometimes it feels like 80% of parenting is marketing.
“Let’s see how fast we can get your pajamas on!”
“Ooh, want to try some Jedi Juice? It looks yummy!”
“How many toys can we clean up before this song is over?”
So, when I tell you that these are called Apple Nachos at my house, I hope you know it’s not because I think they’re the same thing as a bubbly pan of cheesy ball park nachos with all the trimmings.
It’s because “Don’t apple slices sound like a fun snack?” doesn’t usually get a rousing cheer at my house the same way “who wants apple nachos!?” does.
Are they sliced apples with goodies on top? Yes. Yes, they are.
But apple nachos are also CRAZY delicious, easy to make, and fun to eat. Basically, they’re parent-style marketing at its finest.
Here’s why we love them (+a TON of yummy topping ideas to try…)
WHAT ARE APPLE NACHOS?
Apple “nachos” are simply sliced apples topped with all kinds of goodies. (Kind of like nachos are chips topped with goodies).
You can top them with just about anything that sounds good. I like doing at least one thing that’s “drippy” (like peanut butter or chocolate) + a few other toppings for some crunch + interest.
TO MAKE APPLE NACHOS:
- Slice apples + arrange on a plate
- Drizzle with peanut butter, almond butter, or melted chocolate (or a mix!)
- Sprinkle with toppings!
Here are some of my favorite toppings for apple nachos…
YUMMY IDEAS FOR TOPPING APPLE NACHOS:
- PEANUT BUTTER OR ALMOND BUTTER. Natural peanut butter and almond butter usually drizzles and spreads better. If yours isn’t very drippy, you can try heating it for a few seconds in the microwave to loosen it up!
- CHOCOLATE – I use a vegan chocolate shell (see the recipe card for instructions!)
- VEGAN CARAMEL SAUCE – We like this recipe made with peanut butter.
- CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BUTTER. Nutella works if you don’t have dietary restrictions. We like this one that’s dairy-free & gluten-free!
- SHAVED COCONUT
- MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- PUMPKIN SEEDS
- SPRINKLES (These are dye-free!)
- CINNAMON OR CINNAMON-SUGAR (This cinnamon-sugar blend uses maple sugar!)
- TOFFEE BITS
FAQ + TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST APPLE NACHOS:
TRY DIFFERENT COLORS OF APPLES! I think it looks really pretty to use at least 2 colors of apples if I can. There are SO MANY VARIETIES of apples to choose from! Honeycrisp (red), Granny Smith (green), and Opal (yellow) are 3 of my favorites.
GRANOLA WE LOVE LATELY. I make plenty of our own granola, but a pre-made brand I like is Safe & Fair. I love that their granola is allergy-friendly (Top 8 free!) and tastes great. We’re really into the Honeycrisp Apple granola (so good here!) and their seasonal Key Lime. Birthday Cake is another fun one to try! (Get 20% off your first order with this link)
MAKE THESE AS HEALTHY OR AS MUCH OF A TREAT AS YOU LIKE. You can keep these totally healthy by skipping the chocolate + only using a nut or seed butter + raisins + nuts/seeds or granola. Or, you can make these a fun treat by pulling out all the stops. We usually land somewhere in the middle and my kids think it’s SO FUN.
TRY MAKING MINI PLATES + DO A TASTE TEST WITH YOUR KIDS. You can make one big plate, or you can make a few mini plates and let everyone do a taste test to see which flavor they like best! Bonus points if you name your creation! A few of our faves…
- OATMEAL COOKIE: Peanut Butter or Almond Butter + Cinnamon-Sugar + Raisins + Granola
- ALMOND JOY: Shredded Coconut + Chocolate Chips + Almond Butter
- TRAIL MIX: Peanut Butter + Chocolate + Chocolate Chips + Granola + Nuts
- BIRTHDAY CAKE: Cashew Butter + Chocolate + Sprinkles
- EVERYTHING: Chocolate + Peanut Butter + Chocolate Chips + Granola + Nuts + Sprinkles
CRAVING MORE YUMMY SNACKS? YOU MIGHT LIKE…
- Our Ultimate Guide to Trail Mix +6 Flavors to Try
- Lemon Energy Bites
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
Love snacks? You can also sign up for our FREE 5-day virtual Snack Camp! We’ll send you a week of fun snack recipes that are easy enough to make with kids + our best tips for picky eaters + fun ways to get kids in the kitchen + more!Print
Apple Nachos (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- Total Time: About 15 minutes
- Yield: 4+ Servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Apple Nachos – Apples topped with all kinds of goodies! This fun snack is a hit with kids + grown-ups. (Gluten-Free + Vegan + Paleo-Friendly)
FOR THE APPLE NACHOS:
- 2–3 Apples (I like using different colors)
- 1–2 Tbsp. Peanut Butter (or your favorite nut/seed butter)
- 1–1 1/2 Tbsp. Chocolate Chips (mine are allergy-friendly)
- 1/4 tsp. coconut oil
- Your favorite toppings (see list below for ideas)
- shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, granola, sprinkles, cinnamon or cinnamon-sugar, raisins, etc.
- Thinly slice apples and discard cores.
- Arrange apple slices on a plate, trying not to overlap too much (that way the toppings touch all the apples!)
- Drizzle apple slices with peanut butter.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, gently melt together chocolate chips + coconut oil, pausing every 15-20 seconds to stir, until the chocolate is smooth + glossy. (You can also do this in a pan on the stove if you prefer)
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the apples.
- Sprinkle with your favorite toppings & enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Nachos, kids snack, apple snack, healthy snack
This is such a cute idea, thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to try this with my kiddos.
Thank you, Tara! I hope they have fun with it!:)