caramelized brussels sprouts
Is it just me, or do brussels sprouts have a bad reputation? It’s a shame, I tell you. A shame! Personally, I think it must stem from people having eaten overcooked, mushy brussels sprouts. Mushy brussels sprouts are truly depressing, but if that’s the only way you’ve tasted them, you owe it to yourself to try them again. Your first stop should be these brussels sprouts. Stay with me.
Brussels sprouts can be so much more! Especially when prepared like this!
First off, when they’re shredded this way, the texture is fantastic. They aren’t mushy, and aren’t crunchy. Secondly, when sauteed this way, I thought they took on a sweetness that was delicious with the pecans and a hint of sugar.
Really, if one of your New Year’s resolutions was to eat more vegetables, these are a great one to try.Print
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
- Yield: 4 as a side dish 1x
- 15–17 large brussels sprouts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4c pecans, toasted* and chopped (measure before chopping)
- salt to taste
- Prepare brussels sprouts by washing, removing any brown leaves, and trimming the stems. Slice brussels sprouts thinly (or you can try to do this in a food processor). Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Add brussels sprouts and cook about 5 minutes, until bright green and tender. Add brown sugar and a pinch of salt and stir to coat. Taste and add additional salt as desired.
- Finish by tossing with the toasted pecans.
*I toast pecans by chopping them and putting them in a dry pan over medium heat. Stir them often and watch them carefully, so they don’t burn. When they’re fragrant and slightly browned, they’re done.
Adapted from Eat Live Run
YUM! I LOOOVVVEEE Brussels – totally agree that they get such a bad rep!
I love them and always have. I can’t wait to try this dish.
looks delicious! i’ve been eating them roasted with a bunch of other veggies and they are so good!
Hmmmm, I’ve never tried shredding them. Looks yummy!
I don’t think I’ve ever eaten brussels sprouts–but, oddly enough, one of my resolutions IS to eat more vegetables, so I’m going to give them a try!