Simply Roasted Zucchini and Tomatoes – This simple veggie medley makes the most of summer produce. My favorite method + half a dozen delicious variations below!
Summertime is the BEST produce time! Everything good is season it seems–peaches, berries, corn, tomatoes, and–of course–zucchini!
While my very favorite way to eat zucchini will probably always be in something decadent like chocolate zucchini cake, this method for simply roasted zucchini and tomatoes will always be a top contender. I ate it for breakfast every day for five months the first year I made it, and I’ve made it about once a week in the summer every year since. I love the combination of flavors and the variety of ways to use it and flavor it.
Here’s how it usually goes down…
HERE’S WHAT GOES INTO MY SIMPLY ROASTED ZUCCHINI & TOMATOES:
First off, this is 100% a method rather than a specific “you better follow these directions exactly, or else!” recipe. That said, these ingredients are the main building blocks…
- ZUCCHINI. Summer-ripe zucchini is the perfect base for this recipe. You’ll slice it lengthwise in half (or quarters, if it’s huge!), then cut it horizontally into slices. (See the video if you need a visual!)
- GRAPE OR CHERRY TOMATOES. I prefer using baby tomatoes for my roasted zucchini and tomatoes recipe. They’re juicy and sweet, but also retain quite a bit of their shape when roasting. Feel free to use rainbow or heirloom baby tomatoes for even more color!
- GOOD-QUALITY OLIVE OIL. Olive oil helps give these veggies an amazing texture and keep things from sticking to the pan. My favorite is from Queen Creek Olive Mill (not sponsored, just love them!). Their Balanced oil is my day-to-day favorite, but you can totally use their flavored oils (like Fresh Crush Basil!) to add even more flavor to this roasted zucchini recipe. USE CODE “ONELOVELYLIFE” FOR 10% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER!
- BALSAMIC VINEGAR. While you’re picking up olive oil, their Balsamic vinegar is my favorite, too! Aged balsamic vinegar is slightly sweeter and more syrupy, which is LOVELY on roasted veggies. The subtle tang and sweetness really make this recipe special.
- SALT + PEPPER + HERBS. Then, for simple (delicious!) seasoning, I like adding salt, pepper, and fresh herbs. Basil or cilantro are my favorites, but people have made these with oregano, dill, and rosemary, too!
YUMMY WAYS TO ENJOY MY SIMPLY ROASTED ZUCCHINI & TOMATOES
- WITH EGGS AT BREAKFAST. I originally developed this zucchini and tomatoes recipe as a way to fit in more veggies at breakfast. Paired with scrambled, poached, or soft-boiled eggs, simply roasted veggies make a great start to the day!
- AS A SIDE DISH. My roasted zucchini & tomatoes pair beautifully with lots of main dishes, like chicken, fish, or beef.
- STIRRED INTO QUINOA. One of my regular go-to’s is to stir some of these roasted veggies into some fluffy cooked quinoa. It makes an easy delicious lunch that reheats well for a few days!
- MIXED WITH PASTA. Or, you can easily stir this veggie mixture into some pasta for an easy vegetarian dinner. Feel free to add some mushrooms to the mix or garnish with cheese (like Parmesan) or vegan cheese!
FAQ + TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST ROASTED ZUCCHINI AND TOMATOES:
LET’S TALK HERBS. Zucchini and tomatoes are kind of a blank slate in the flavor department. They pair beautifully with basil, cilantro, oregano, and more! Feel free to experiment with herbs to give this recipe a different flavor twist.
GIVE IT A FLAVOR BOOST! Similarly, this is really yummy with flavored olive oil or the olive oil and herb combinations I shared in my olive oil and herb cubes post. I LOVE using them in these. Lemon and dill is delicious, rosemary is awesome, and I always love roasted garlic or a little kick from chile oil.
SWITCH UP THE VEGGIES! Sometimes I add a chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, yellow squash, or a bell pepper or two. Anything that’s starting to look a little sad!
DON’T RUSH IT! Part of the beauty of this dish is that the tomatoes get kind of caramelized the longer you put them in the oven. I LOVE the flavor that adds, so I don’t like to rush things.
LOVE THIS SIMPLE RECIPE? YOU MIGHT LIKE…
- How to Make Olive Oil and Herb Cubes
- Vegan Zucchini Fries – LOVE that crispy baked coating, especially with our chipotle ranch!
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Chili Roasted Zucchini
- Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry with Black Pepper Sauce
- My Big Fat Greek Quinoa Salad